(3) The ENDLESS FIELD, Orchids, and A Promise

SUNNY: "....What?" Hesitation and confusion filled his answer as he looked over this... other self in front of him.

After being asked something like that... SUNNY didn't know how to respond. So many questions filled his mind as this OTHER SUNNY spoke to him: Who was he? Why was he asked about MARI? If this was Hell, why wasn't he being tormented endlessly, even by thoughts of the past? And if this was Heaven, why was he alone? Why would he even be allowed there in the first place, and... where was MARI?

Everything around him was bright, but... a part of him knew this wasn't WHITESPACE. It had disappeared when he and OMORI merged, and he faced the truth. It obviously wasn't BLACKSPACE either, at least from what he could see, because when he felt the ground, it was just grass. Small white blobs were scattered across this supposed field, but taking a closer look, they were white flowers... White Egret Orchids.

He recognized them from MARI'S funeral, his heart sinking at the thought of that day again before his expression turned serious. Quickly, he remembered what this... other him had just asked, and turned his attention to him.

SUNNY: "W-Wait... Wait, when... when you say 'see MARI'... do... do you mean... in Heav-"

OTHER SUNNY: "I mean-" He quickly interrupted. "Do you want to see MARI again? Would you like that?" He sounded rather sincere and honest, acting nothing like any apparitions or THINGS he's seen before.

In fact... the only thing that made him different from himself was his clothes, and his eye. OTHER SUNNY had his eye shut tight, the same one he had lost to BASIL, blood running down his cheek, stains running down his green vest. And yet... he didn't look angry or look at SUNNY with malice. He actually looked... sad watching him.

SUNNY: He sighed deeply. "... It doesn't matter what I want now. She's gone, and I... I know I can never go where she is now. Not after everything I..." His voice was weakband rasp, a painful look in his eye before he turned his head toward the endless field of Orchids, seeing something familiar...

"MARI" was standing there, far out from where the SUNNY'S were, floating over the Orchids with the same smile she had when she told him to jump. Eyeless, pale white skin, her hair still stagnant even with the gentle breeze that...wherever this place was, had.

SUNNY'S expression didn't change, looking down to his hands as they trembled, shutting his eye tightly as he held his chest.

SUNNY: "I've... already made my choice. I wanted to make her happy, and I did what... what she would have wanted me to do..." He said with such conviction in his voice, like he was sure what he said was true.

OTHER SUNNY looked at "MARI" with a slight frown, watching her just stay there, holding a hand out to SUNNY with that same she... no, that IT had. OTHER SUNNY had seen it before. SUNNY was teetering in place, looking at "MARI" as he took a small step forward. OTHER SUNNY didn't panic or physically react, only sighing deeply.

OTHER SUNNY: "... This isn't the first time I've seen you, you know. I've seen you before, up until... the jump."

SUNNY stopped in place, standing up straight and looking rightfully confused, his brows furrowed as he slowly turning around.

SUNNY: "...What?" His eye slowly gained life again, blinking a few times before looking bewildered by what he said. "What do you... what does that mean?"

He stopped himself from walking towards "MARI", turning his attention to his other self. From afar, the sound akin to crisp, burnt wood crackling was heard as it closed its hands slowly.

OTHER SUNNY: "I... don't know why... but I have a feeling I know how." He looked down, kneeling over and gently caressing his hands against the Orchids beneath him.