(9) School, OTHER LIBRARY, and Faint Memories

The trio of friends made their way down the sidewalk, 2 of them huffing and puffing as they made it to the schools gates. AUBREY was a few steps behind KEL, leaning over and resting her hands on her knees as she caught her breath. Meanwhile, not only was KEL jogging in place, he also had BASIL on his back, arms up, back straight, in perfect form for running.

BASIL had an embarrassed look as he got off of KEL'S back, rubbing his neck nervously. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't know running that much would make me soon winded. I-I'm also sorry if I was too heavy or anything. . ."

KEL nonchalantly began stretching, not a trace of fatigue on him. "Hm? Oh, no worries bud! If anything you helped me with my training! Gotta keep my stamina up and that jog was perfect for it. Besides, youre light as a feather, man!"

AUBREY flung her head up with an annoyed look. "You call (huff huff ) that (huff huff) a JOG?!" She hiked up her backpack on her shoulders more. " (Exhale) Where you get the energy, or the desire to run that fast, I'll never know KEL."

Giving a wide grin, he gave a short snicker at her comment. "You guys just gotta work out more! I offer it but you guys never join. So now you pay the price~"

As AUBREY rolled her eyes and BASIL gave a friendly smile and nervous chuckle, the threes attention soon turned to the school after hearing the bell, their calmness turning to panic as they all began rushing towards the building.

KEL: "We can talk more after, I'll catch you guys later! Take care of BASIL for me, 'kay AUBEY?"

AUBREY frowned lightly with her cheeks getting warm. "Of course I will, and I told you to stop calling me that! It's just one letter, but it's still embarrassing!"

KEL stuck out his tongue as she did the same, making BAISL hold his hand to his mouth and laugh quietly. They made their way inside and rushed to their classes, waving goodbye to KEL as the two went into their class. After a scolding by their teacher for being just a few minutes late and some friends waving at BASIL'S return, they both took their seats and began their school day.

BASIL sighed with relief as he leaned in his chair, holding his chest again ad he closed his eyes. He was told he needed to do his missing assignments, but figured those could wait, his train of thought getting cut off by a tap on his shoulder. Turning to see who it was, he saw CRIS, brushing aside her light blue hair with a welcoming smile.

CRIS: "Welcome back, BASIL! We missed you." She whispered. "Hasn't been the same around here without you."

BASIL slowly grew a more cheerful expression as he heard her, clearing his throat. "Th-Thanks CRIS! It's good to be back, hehe. Sorry I've been gone for a while. It was. . . hard to get out of bed for a while."

CRIS began looking concerned, holding a hand out and rubbing the top or his. "I can't even imagine. . . I'm so sorry for your loss. No one should have to go through that. But hey! You're here now, so let's just focus on work before MR. JOHNSON pops a blood vessel yelling at us to be quiet."

"I can tell you to be quiet AND be calm about it, CRIS" MR. JOHNSON said while writing on the board, making her and BASIL flinch before smiling nervously at one another before laughter lightly filled the room. "Now, open up your books to Page 127 and let's have MIKA-" He sighed and dropped his shoulders for a moment. " I mean "THE MAVERICK", continue where we left off."

"HA!" THE MAVERICK boisterous exclaimed, leaning in his chair. "Using my appropriate title, DAVID! A wise decision, for those who do not address THE MAVERICK appropriately shall face his-!"

"Please just read, MIKHAEL, we don't have to do this every single time. And dont call me by my first name. " THE MAVERICK was promptly cut off, making the class laugh once again, including BASIL.