(15) Left on Read

.

.

.

BASIL was rummaging through his bag, taking out his school books and making room as he looked up to his drawer... his CAMERA was sitting right next to the White Egret Orchid. He knew that he wanted to bring it, but seeing it right now... he was having second thoughts.

(Maybe... Maybe I just told myself to get it to... prolong the visit... What would I even show it I DID bring it...)

He looked down to it, seeing the dust still plaguing it as he sighed, wiping it off gently with his hand. His finger traced the edge of the lense as he seemed deep in thought... his concentration broken only by what he thought was the crackling sound.

Quickly he looked up, but was hit with relief as he saw MS. POLLY knocking at his open door, walking in looking a bit nervous.

MS. POLLY: "Sorry! Sorry, I-I uh- I heard you come in, so I just... I wanted to check on you is all." She held her hands close to her chest.

BASIL: "O-Oh! Uh, no worries. Sorry I didn't say anything, ma'am. I was just, uh... trying to get something..."

MS. POLLY looked at what he was holding and saw it was his old CAMERA. It made her smile as she went over and sat next to him on his bed. "Huh... seems like its been ages since I've seen you hold that."

BASIL looked up to her but then looked away, feeling ashamed at how true that statement was. "Y-Yeah... It really has been too long..."

MS. POLLY looked deep in thought as she was remembering when he grabbed his CAMERA every day giggled as she gently held the side, running her thumb across the top gently. "I used to have to be SO much extra film for you. You'd say every day was... hmmm... what did you say it was? Photo, uhm..."

BASIL slowly looked to her as he lifted his head, knowing exactly what she meant. "I-I think it was, 'Every day was full of Photo Opportunities'. I think I meant that every day had so much to capture in a frame. Heh, uh... S-Sorry for all the Film you had to buy ma'am." His cheeks went pink ad he scratched his arm a bit.

MS. POLLY laughed and patted his shoulder. "Oh, don't you worry about that! It's in the past, and besides-" She rested her head on top of his, rubbing his shoulder gently as she closed her eyes. "- seeing you so happy each time made it all the more worth it~"

BASIL leaned into her with a smile as he embraced her. "Thank you, ma'am." He said with a smile. Remembering those days... How many photos he'd take and all the help he'd need in making photo albums. Everyone pitched into pick photos they loved and would always want to remember... even MARI. Remembering her only reminded him of the visit... and how unprepared he was to see SUNNY like that again... and her.

He sighed as he sat back up, holding MS. POLLYS hand as he looked away. She was taken aback by this, but didn't hesitate to hold his hand and look to him with concern. "BASIL? What's wrong honey?"

BASIL sighed as he tried to get his thoughts to words, stammering before he closed his eyes. "Ma'am, I.... I'm supposed to visit SUNNY today. But... I'm scared. Not just to see him like... that again but... seeing her again."

MS. POLLY was his caretaker for quite some time, knowing everything that happened before and after the incident... and his feelings towards MARI. She tightened her grip on his hands and exhaled lightly through her nose.

BASIL: "I-I don't want to fight with her, I just want to see my best friend again... b-but I still feel so... so..." He groaned dropped his head back, eyes closed as he tried to gather his thoughts.

MS. POLLY: "... Conflicted?"

BASIL, without looking at her or opening his eyes, nodded his head as she scootched closer to him.