(8) Suprise Visit, Catching Up, and Outside

BASIL was biting into his toast, forcing himself to eat and washing it down with a sip of tea. MS. POLLY was relieved to see this, putting a hand to her chest and smiling at him. He was a bit nervous, being watched as he barely ate, but he couldn't really blame her for doing so.

This was the first time he'd properly eaten anything, especially breakfast, so of course she'd want to make sure he kept at it. Still... it was a bit embarrassing for him. Nonetheless, he finished his toast and tea, moving onto his cereal, looking at the clock as he shakily put his spoon to his mouth.

7:44 AM

He nearly choked, coughing up milk and brand flakes as he realized just how late he was sleeping in. MS. POLLY grabbed his tray and set it aside before tending to him, hitting his back gently while finicking about him.

MS. POLLY: "A-Are you okay?! What's wrong? Are you-" She glanced at the clock, where his eyes were still looking. "Oh... ah, I see" She rubbed his back gently. "Look, BASIL... you don't have to school if you don't want to, it's fine! You're not in the best condition, so we can just call you in sick again. Maybe you just... need a bit more rest."

BASIL finally cleared his throat and regained his composure, looking to her and seeing genuine concern in her eyes. He thought about it for a second, grabbing his shirt as he cleared his throat once more. "Th-Thank you, MS. POLLY... but I think... I should go. Missing too many days won't look good for me on my record. Besides! Your breakfast really perked me up. I feel ready to go again! Heh. Besides..."

She looked rightfully surprised by thus, not expecting him to be so ready to get out of the house again. He rubbed his neck and looked at his drawer, specifically...the Orchid.

BASIL: "I'm... going to visit again after School... I think I should have something to talk about when I get there, you know?" He stared at the Orchid, knowing he put it there as a reminder... to always visit SUNNY when he could.

MS. POLLY gave a warm smile and hugged him lightly, looking at the Orchid with him for a few moments. She then turned to his CAMERA, perking up a bit as she got up.

"Oh! How about you take some pictures! I mean, you haven't taken any for a while, and I know he won't be able to see them, but that just means you can show some to him when he wakes up!" She picked up his CAMERA and inspected it thoroughly. "There's still film!" She said before blowing off and wiping the dust off of it.

BASIL held his hands out. "Ah-!" He kept moving his hands about, not wanting her to ruin the lense or drop it. When she was done cleaning, she nodded and handed it towards him. He retracted his hands, looking at it with a startled expression. MS. POLLY'S smile faded slowly, looking more concerned as she gently placed it back on the drawer.

MS. POLLY: "I-I'm sorry, I shouldn't have... ahem Well... if you ever feel like, y'know, taking more pictures, you at least know it can still take some! Just, uhm, please think about it, okay? I don't want to force you or anything."

BASIL looked at his CAMERA again, slowly looking down to his hands. So pale and trembling lightly, clenching his fists while shutting his eyes. "... O-Okay... I-I'll try..." He put on the best smile he could, but it didn't fool MS. POLLY for a second. If anything it made her more concerned, but for now she just grabbed his hands and hugged him.

He returned the gesture and exhaled weakly, leaning into her as they both embraced. Their moment together, however, was cut short as frantic knocking could be heard at the door.

MS. POLLY'S turned to look at the noise and got up, grabbing his tray as she did. "Huh... I wonder who that can be?" She said with a raised brow and smile, recognizing the frantic 2 handed knocking. BASIL lightened up more, chuckling at the fact they both knew it was KEL. "You dress up, I'll tell them you'll be out in a minute."