(18) Coming To, Caretaker, and First Steps

.

.

.

Some time had passed, around half an hour, since SUNNY had been given the sedative. HERO and DR. HAPU were talking by the stairs, MS. POLLY was talking with AUBREY trying to calm her down, and KEL was drinking a soda at the table while BASIL was leaning against the wall, deep in thougt. While everyone was busy doing their own thing, MARI was looking at herself in the bathroom mirror.

She turned off the sink and washed her face, splashing cold water to wake herself up. Rubbing her eyes, she grabbed the paper towels and dried her face. She needed to clear her mind after everything just happened. Things went from 0 to 100 at the drop of a pen, she didn't have the time to fully take in the situation. But...

It seemed that SUNNY believed this Nightmare he had was reality, and that it'd take time for his mind to readjust, otherwise he could have another episode. She threw the paper towel away and looked in the mirror, knowing that she didn't want him to think such a horrible dream was real... but it couldn't be helped.

(He... just needs time. He'll learn that that nightmare was just that... someday. You just have to be there for him while he readjusts...)

She shook her head and looked at herself again. Bags under her eyes, pale complexion... She looked like a mess. Then, the echoes of what DEATH told her rung in her mind

---

"Once I DO put you back, promise me you will take better care of yourself more, little lady. We do not want to be visiting me too early again, now would we?"

---

Remembering this, she realized that she needed to hold up her end of the deal...

MARI: "Once everything's settled, I'll... I'll take better care of myself." She looked up, slightly confused as she looked around. "I uh... hope you can hear that... sir." She referred to DEATH, a soft chuckle given before she looked back to the mirror...

Her expression turned to shock, seeing a figure that was as pale as her eyes. She stared at this PALE FIGURE, a chill running down her spine as his cold, dead stare was focused on her. His dull expression and red eyes slowly turning to look at himself in the mirror, standing behind her as he finally spoke.

PALE BASIL: "You say that... but how are you supposed to take care of HIM, when you haven't even been able to take care of yourself for 4 years? Are you trying to make him suffer more? Tch... You really are a terrible sister."

MARI'S expression went from fear to guilt, looking down, unable to look him in the eyes... because a part of her knew he was right.

MARI: "I-I..." She clenched her fist, trembling a bit as she spoke without looking up. "I'll manage... somehow. I-I'll be with him every step of the way. He won't... get hurt again... I'll make sure of it."

Her words sounded true, but she didn't sound confident while saying them. She knew it didn't sound convincing with how shaken and meek her tone was, still trembling as she waited for his response. Feeling his eyes shift to her, she closed hers tightly and braced herself for whatever he'd say next...

PALE BASIL: "... ... ... We'll see..."

MARI slowly opened her eyes, peeking out of one and looking behind herself in the mirror...

Nothing.

As quickly as he appeared, he vanished. She let out an exhale of relief, dropping her shoulders and holding herself up on the sink. After calming down for a second, she felt the lingering doubt creeping in. It made her nervous, feeling like... she couldn't do this.