(23) Stairs, Bed, and Fractured

.

.

.

There they were... where it all began...

For them both.

MARI held onto her brothers hand tightly, looking up the stairs, hands trembling as she kept staring at them. It's like the more she looked, the more endless it seemed to reach the top... and the harder they'd fall.

SUNNY, on the other hand, was looking down. The spot where everything changed in his world for the absolute worse. The last time he saw his sister fall and never get back up again.

Even if he was holding her hand then and there, he couldn't feel it. And even if he could, it still wouldn't feel real to him. He knew it shouldn't be... because what happened couldn't be changed.

And he still felt awful for everything he put everyone through, and shut his eyes, his grip going weak in MARI'S hand.

She looked to him and saw how distraught he looked. Quickly, she went in front of him, kneeling down, and made sure he looked her in the eyes.

MARI: "Hey, it's alright. You... We can sleep down here for a while, if you want. You on the couch. And I'll uh, sleep on the floor! Yeah, you don't have to go up if you don't want to, I won't force you. Just say the word and I can set up your bed down here!"

He looked st how concerned she was, sounding like she was trying to convince herself more than him that this was a good idea.

MARI: "I mean, it's WAY too soon to try and make you do this, I-I don't want to make you rush you into-"

SUNNY: "I... think we should go... Up there I mean."

MARI: "Perfect! I'll get you a blanket an- ... Oh. Y-You wanna... try?"

She looked up the stairs and felt a chil down her spine, closing her eyes and trying to block out the memories of what happened. She turned back to him and forced a smile, holding her hands together tightly.

MARI: "A-Are you sure? You don't wanna give it like... a day? Or a week?"

He looked up the stairs, feeling a lingering sense of fear. But mostly... regret. He gently put his hand over his Eyepatch, remembering how he got it, and what lead up to it. HIS BASIL... HIS SISTER... how he deserved what he got in HIS WORLD.

But MARI only saw what looked like he was remembering how he lost his eye. The Violin... a fall... silence. It hurt her heart to see him remembering that, but once she was about to speak up, telling him he doesn't have to, he turned to her and held both her hands.

SUNNY: "I'm sure..."

Seeing how determined he was, MARI took a deep breath and sighed. "Well... only if your absolutely sure. Then..."

She was determined not to let go of him, never again. So, she held onto his side tightly as she grabbed the handrail with a firm grip, and began to climb them.

SUNNY was nervous, but mostly for her. Since with every step, he saw her legs shake even more. And since he couldn't feel it, he had to look to see how hard she was clenching onto his shirt. She was far more nervous than he was.

This made him put his arm under hers, holding her up as he used what strength he could to help her stay standing. This made her ease up a bit, less tense as she stopped holding his shirt so tightly. But her legs were still trembling, and SUNNY made sure she wouldn't fall if she collapsed.

By the time they had reached the top of the stairs, MARI collapsed, sitting down and leaning against the handrail, panting a bit. SUNNY got worried for a second before seeing her sit. Even though he was glad she wasn't hurt, the way she acted during all of that concerned him... a lot.