(19) Hugs, Baby Carrots, and Medicine

.

.

.

Tap

Tap

Everyone waited as DR. HAPU was testing SUNNY'S reflexes. He kept tapping at his knees and stood up once he saw no reaction.

DR. HAPU: "Hmmm..." He pulled put his stethoscope and put it through his sleeve, guiding it to his chest. "Deep breaths, please."

SUNNY did as he said, though it looked like it took effort to take breaths that deep.

DR. HAPU: "Hmmm..."

MARI clung to HERO'S hand as she gulped. "H-how is he, DOCTOR?"

He stood up and took off his stethoscope. "Well... No, not exactly." He picked up his board and scribbled something down onto it. "His physical state is the same as always, no changes have been made. And yet... You say he was able to stand and walk, yes?"

Everyone nodded lightly, and BASIL stepped forward clearing his throat.

"W-We came in, he wasn't there, and before we were about to go get you, we saw him come out of the bathroom."

DR. HAPU nodded and exhaled slowly. "Well... If that is the case, then... I suppose SUNNY is well enough to not explicitly need the Wheelchair. HOWEVER, I highly recommend you take it still. Again, he doesn't know how much his body can physically take, so he may need it from time to time. Understood?"

Everyone sighed in relief as they heard this

DR. HAPU: "As for how he was able to do all of that... I myself am unsure. It doesn't seem physically possible, it should have take weeks to get to this point. And yet..." He looked over his papers briefly. "... I am going to need a second opinion. For now, do not run off to far, I will be back briefly about your brothers release."

He took his leave and everyone had a pretty big smile on.

KEL: "Woah, hear that dude? You're gonna be outta this place soon!"

HERO: "Well, probably soon. We don't know for sure yet, but things are looking that way.

BASIL: "Do you guys think it'll be today? O-Or is that too much wishful thinking?" He asked while rubbing his knuckles, obviously slightly nervous.

AUBREY put her hand on his shoulder. "I dunno if Hospitals do that kinda thing, but... I hope so." .

Both smiled, BASIL sighing as he leaned into AUBREY for a quick embrace.

MARI did the same to SUNNY with a smile. "You hear that? Pretty soon, you'll be home! Everything can go back to... ...normal..."

Everyone paused after hearing that. Even though none of them said it, they all knew in some way, things couldn't go back to normal. At least, not how they used to be.

Awkward silence and unease was broken as soon as BASIL spoke up, catching them all off guard.

BASIL: "... We can't, can we. Everything's different now... How CAN we go back. After what y-"

His gaze went to SUNNY, looking confused and slightly worried. This made BASIL close his eyes and take a deep breath.

BASIL: "After... what happened. It feels almost impossible for things to go back to the way they were..."

He looked at MARI while saying this, nothing verbally said, but his eyes filled with resentment. This made her look away quickly, grasping at her shirt.

HERO: "BASIL..."

KEL saw both of them, clenching his fists and take a slow breath in. "Uh- Hey, bud. How about we go to the Cafeteria and get you something to eat, 'kay? While we wait for DR. HAPPYS word and all, plus you look like you need a sandwich or something, heh." He said trying to break the tension and separate them for the time being.