Prologue

KEATON ADLER

"Ms Brisden?" I spun my pen between my fingers, staring at the young woman sat across from me. Usually, the typical face I see within these 4 walls are of people experiencing intense feelings of sadness, anger or nerves, but this woman was different. 

Not a single twitch of her face, not a single bodily movement hinting at what she was thinking or feeling, she was almost as still as a statue. If it weren't for those storm grey eyes of hers bouncing up from the notebook sitting on the table that divided us, to me, I'd of thought she were deaf. 

"I assume you know why you're here" I addressed her and the obvious elephant in the room now that I was certain she could hear me, but was simply choosing to ignore me before. 

"Because I've got an invasive boss with little to no boundaries" My eyebrows drew down at the answer I wasn't looking for. Rather than addressing the primary problem, she blamed her boss for sitting across from me today. It was common in most patients, making it very clear I was aware on the fact they didn't want to be here as much as I really didn't want to hear their problems. None of them had called me out before though. 

5 minutes of sitting in silence in the company that is Ffion Brisden and I knew eventually she'd be the first. 

Her grey eyes gave a nasty glare. It wasn't that she hated me but rather she hated the fact she was being pressured into sitting in a room with me. I didn't take it personally. It wasn't because I was a male, it was because I was a psychiatrist, a profession she'd already made quite clear of her disdain towards just through her eyes. 

She twirled her borderline ink black hair around her dainty index finger, over and over again. This could be a possible sign of body-focused repetitive disorder, which linked her twirling her hair behaviour with boredom and frustration or whatever the hell else she was currently feeling, but that is a big if. It could also just be a sign of her feeling anxious about seeking professional help. Again, it was common in my room. 

I've been told by other colleagues I have an intimidating aura. It only confirmed their thoughts on me when I called out their bullshit 'aura' reasoning. Aura my fucking ass. But being the most intimidating person in the room got me the results I sought. It got me patients talking and crying. It got me actually helping them. 

The way Ffion Brisden held herself showed me this wasn't just any other client with a fucked up past whose walls I'd be able to tear down session by session. Ffion was already challenging me and my skills all with her blank stare and silence. She doubted me, that much was clear. 

This woman was going to find out just how competitive I can be. 

Hope ya'll liked the prologue. If not, boo fucking hoo. 

I really do hope you like this story, if not don't tell me. Save me my feelings thanks. I also hope you like the writing. I'm trying to be less blunt and blahhh. 

Anyways, 

Nigh Nights lovie dovies x <3