Chapter Eighteen

FFION BRISDEN

I could feel eyes on me, but with every direction I turned I couldn't find them. I rested my forearm on the sticky bar top in this ridiculously loud bar. You'd think pubs and bars would be less populated because the majority of us that came where over 25 and had outlived our clubbing days, but you'd be shocked to find it's not as quiet as you'd think. 

Rowdy late 20's and early 30 year olds were the loudest of them all. There was a large group of guys, probably 20 or so celebrating a senior football match win and they wanted everyone in the bar to know they were champions. Drunk and overly confident. 

"It probably would've been more chill if we went to a club" Amelia stated, ripping my attention from the group of men, my eyes meeting the side of her face as she sat next to me, ogling the more than attractive bar tender. I snorted, turning back to sit properly in my seat, now also facing the bartender. My eyes trailed up and down his muscular but lean figure, admiring the way his arms flexed as he shook drinks. 

"Yeah, but I don't really feel like getting hit on by 19 year olds" I stated, tipping my glass back and emptying the contents into my mouth. I placed the glass back down, sighing as I played with the bracelet on my wrist. Amelia held her hand up for the bartender, smiling flirtatiously at him. He caught sight of her hand, throwing the tea towel he was using to wipe glasses over his shoulder before sauntering over. 

"Ladies, what are you two after?" He asked, smiling at Amelia before his eyes bounced to me. His gaze lingered a couple moments longer, eyes slowly tracing as much as my figure as he could see. My heart raced, feeling insecure again as I crossed my arms over my chest, trying to hide myself from him. 

"My friend will have another-"

"Coke and Bourbon? Fellas drink" I snorted, shaking my head as he grabbed the bourbon bottle from one of the wall shelves. At least he remembered my order.

"Thank you, Barmaid" I replied sarcastically, watching his dazzling smile spread wide as he laughed, shaking his head dismissively. 

"I didn't mean it like that. You're clearly a very beautiful woman. It's just an acquired taste is all" I bit back a smile at the compliment, watching his hands as he poured the bourbon into the glass. 

"No harm, no foul" I replied, smiling back at the beautiful man in front of me. 

"You and the other workers must hate your boss for rostering you on on days like this" Amelia chimed in, nodding back to the more than rowdy bar. The bartender looked to her, a small smile on his face as he shrugged. 

"I sure as hell hope they don't hate me. I try to take all the heat on these kinds of days" I covered my mouth with my hand, the amused bartenders eyes meeting mine before glancing back at Amelia who had a light blush spreading across her cheeks, her mouth forming an 'o' shape. 

"You're the boss" She stated rather than questioned, the bartender nodding his head. 

"Guilty" He smiled before holding his hand out to Amelia. "I'm Garret."

"Amelia" She smiled, shaking his hand before they both pulled back. He then turned to me, holding his hand out to me now. 

"Ffion" I shook his hand, watching his eyebrows slightly raised in surprise, his smile spreading wider. I noticed his eyes latch onto something behind me for a moment. Just when I was about to turn to whatever he was staring at, he stopped me simply by speaking. 

"Ffion..." He dragged out like he knew me. My smile faltered for a moment until he shook it off, adding "Interesting name."

"In a good way I hope?" I questioned, Garret grinning as he nodded his head, eyes quickly glancing over my head again before they met mine.