Chapter Nine

KEATON ADLER

I sat across from my patient, spinning my pen around my fingers as I watched her try to find the words to say. I just watched her break down in tears, now I needed her to tell me what was going on. If I started simply implying it could sway what she says next, so quiet I remained, watching the blonde. 

"T-That was embarrassing. I-I'm so sorry" She choked on her words, trying to sober up whilst wiping the tears from her face. 

"Never apologise. You're hurting. Cry if you feel like it" I encouraged the woman, a relieved smile making its way onto her lips as she quietly thanked me. She took deep breaths, slowly in and out, opening her mouth wide, read to speak. 

Three knocks on the door and I didn't even get the chance to answer before Lara Banks, the older receptionist that primarily deals with patients popped her head in. She offered Malory Junic, the blonde seated across from me an apologetic smile before looking my way. 

"I'm so sorry Keaton, but Katherine Price keeps trying to get in touch with you-"

"Ffion Brisden's boss?" I asked, feeling my shoulders tense at the mention of the infamous boss Ffion hates so much. Lara nodded. 

"She apparently needs you to head into Redington" I glanced up at the clock, seeing me and Malory Junic still had 10 minutes left of our session. As much as I wanted to get up and leave in an instant Malory had to be my priority. She was my patient, she is hurting, and I have to take care of her first. Katherine Price can wait. Ffion can wait. 

"Is Ms Brisden okay?" I asked bluntly, keeping my emotions trying to bubble to the surface locked down deep in my chest. Lara shrugged. 

"I don't know. I think so. Katherine's making it out she needs you to give her Ffion's evaluation" I sighed, bringing my hand to my head and rubbing my temple. I felt Malory stir from across me. She began standing up, eyes bouncing back between mine and Lara's uncomfortably. 

"I can leave if you need to-"

"No" I cut Malory off, gesturing for her to take her seat again which she did slowly. 

"Tell Katherine I'll be there as soon as I can but that she's not my top priority. From what I've heard the woman's got an ego the size of the moon, she can wait" I told Lara, noticing her biting back her smile before nodding and leaving the room. Malory and I sat in silence for a few moments, me staring at the door, Malory staring at me. 

"I really don't mind leaving and continuing this another-"

"No. Nobody and nothing should make you feel like you're not a top priority. That woman can wait, I'm here with you" Something flashed across Malory's face but it disappeared just as quickly as it surfaced. Malory smiled, cheeks burning pink, clearly having been treated like a burden her whole life. 

"Thank you, Doctor."

10 minutes later and I was walking Malory Junic out of my office and out of the building, needing to get into my car to head to Redington anyways. We shared goodbyes as I made sure Malory got into her car safely before pulling out of the buildings carpark. It took me no longer than 10 minutes to get to the Primary School. 

I walked into the front building where the office was located, stopping in front of the woman at reception. She looked up, smiling widely at me as she stood, her smile growing as she looked me up and down. She looked nice and pretty enough, but the vibe she gave off made me wonder if she was one of the staff members bullying Ffion. 

"Hi Honey, how can I help?"

"I'm here to see Katherine Price."

"And your name, hon?"