bonus chapter [ donna ]

bonus chapter | dragons dance

𝕮old air swirled and tugged at Rhaenyra's dress and clothes as she watched the sky above Alterwoode. The morning air was brisk, the dew not yet evaporated from the grass at her feet and the sound of the castle not reaching her ears.

No one was yet awake, yet she was.

Rhaenyra did not know why, but she had awoken that morning and left her bed, pulling on a dress to slip outside, past the gates and into the fields beyond. The cold did not bother her, as she watched the sky, waiting for the sun to finally burn away the morning fog.

There came the quiet call of her name, almost disappearing through the wind as the woman turned to see who had called to her. Walking towards her across the meadow grasses was her husband, his hands buried beneath his arms as he huffed. The warm air turned to smoke immediately, as if he were a dragon.

"My love."

"It is most cold, yet you are out here in a dress as if you do not feel it." Rhaenyra held her hand out, allowing her taller husband to walk into her arms. Malkym shivered, his arms wrapping around her tightly as he buried his head into her neck. 

"Ah, Malkym, you are freezing. No." Rhaenyra whined, trying to pull back from her husband, who kept her close. "Why are you so cold?"

"Well, last night, someone said that they were too warm so asked for the fire to be put out, and then they left our shared bed, taking my heat source with them." Malkym pulled away, narrowing his eyes. "I love you dearly, Rhae, but I do believe that I will have no toes left if you keep leaving me with no heat."

"But it is far too hot."

"You are a dragon, you naturally seem to be quite hot." Malkym chuckled. "Please be sympathetic to your darling husband, who feels the cold more so."

"Then why are you out here?"

"Because I could not find you. I mean to drag you back to bed so that I am able to warm up, and so that I can steal all of your attention before the children wake." Malkym rolled his eyes. "Gods know that they seem to enjoy stealing you away from me."

"Malkym, come now, they are our children."

"Precisely why I know they steal you away. They take after me far too much, and thus enjoy having your attention just as I do." Malkym huffed, before wrapping Rhaenyra into his arms once more. "Come, let us sleep for a while longer. We do not have to be up this early, not when the sun has barely risen."

"I suppose I can allow myself to give my husband some attention. Especially when he pouts so." Rhaenyra teased, reaching up to run her hand across the man's cheek. Malkym beamed brightly, before turning back to the castle. 

"Come now."

"I cannot walk this fast. My joints are stiff."

"You have been standing in this field for far too long." Malkym replied, leaning down quite easily to pick her up and into his arms. She laughed, clinging to his shoulders as he stalked back inside of their home.