bonus chapter [ donna ]

bonus chapter | the old epilogue

𝕽haenyra Targaryen had lost nearly everything that she loved.

Her eldest son, Jace, had plummeted to the sea below him in a spiral of fire and blood and his body had never been found. Her eldest boy with Malkym, her precious Jace, had been killed with no remorse.

Her next child, Luke, had been killed by Aemond Targaryen as he tried to escape on Arrax. He had only been four and ten, only little, and yet they had killed him. He had been escaping, trying not to fight and instead hoping to return to her. He'd never made it home.

Her youngest son with her first husband, Camryn, had attempted to save the dragons from the Dragon Pit during the storm of Kings Landing, and had climbed onto Syrax. Her dragon had not known who it was, and rejected him, twisting and turning and sending her son plummeting to the ground far below him. Syrax had only worked out who he was as he screamed, desperately trying to catch up with him and then protect his body for Rhaenyra, but she had been slaughtered by the Greens, dying to protect Rhaenyra's littlest boy's body. Her dragon was loyal to their family until the end.

But, worst of all, she had lost the love of her life.

It may have been ten years since her husband had been murdered but brown eyes haunted her sleep. She could remember every fleck of gold and green hidden in the iris, every wrinkle surrounding them, every laugh and hum that came from his mouth, the feel of his skin under her hand, his dark hair tickling her neck. She could remember the smile that he reserved for her, the way he held her hand, the soft feel of his lips to hers that burnt themselves into her mind as soon as she kissed him for the first time.

Rhaenyra Targaryen had known she had lost everything the moment they deposited her husband's body in front of her, burnt beyond belief. For she had promised to only love one person until their deaths, and that had been Malkym Thorne.

Regardless of what had happened after, or the fact that her youngest sons lived, Rhaenyra could not find happiness in that. Everything that she and Malkym had created, the symbols of their love, were all destroyed.

Jacaerys, Lucerys and Camryn had been the last living memories of Malkym. They had been the embodiment of her husband, in their dark hair and dark eyes, their smirk and their laughter and Rhaenyra had lost them. She'd lost everything.

She could fight no longer.

So, as she knelt before Sunfyre, her brother's dragon, she remembered her children, saying their names in her head, repeating them over and over as they listed off her charges.

Jacaerys. Lucerys. Camryn.

Their faces passed across her mind as she let her eyes fall close.

Jacaerys.

Her eldest boy, with the loyalty of his father but the courage of his mother.

Lucerys.

Her middle son, who fought as his father did but loved like his mother did.

Camryn.

Who'd never known his father, but had strived to live up to his ghost.

And Malkym.

Malkym.

Malkym.

Malkym.

Rhaenyra repeated her husband's name as Sunfyre shook his head, starting to stand.

Malkym.

Her darling husband who had lost everything just to love her.

It did not matter that she had been forced to marry Daemon, for she could only love one person in her life and loving Malkym had been the best part of that.

Even as her delirious brother stood, on shaking legs and half-crazed, holding his hand out, Rhaenyra remembered her husband, who had been killed far before his time.

"Dracarys."

A tear slipped down Rhaenyra's face.

Jacaerys. Lucerys. Camryn. Malkym.

The flames brought hideous pain, drawing forth agonising screams from her chest, as Rhaenyra tried to focus on her first love's face once more. Finally, her breath started to shorten and her eyes could no longer see, as jaws snapped shut around her.

Rhaenyra Targaryen accepted death quite happily.

"My darling dragon."

For she knew who awaited her on the other side.

"I think you needed your favour back."

It was only in death that Rhaenyra Targaryen could meet Malkym Thorne once more.

Hiya,

Some people asked for the old epilogue back up, so here it is! The reason this wasn't included in the rewrite is because I reread it and realised just how depressing it was and thought, let's not but yes, this was the original. It was just supposed to be painful.

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx