18) Time to Party

"Good morning young master. Would you like a hangover drink?"

"No. ... Let's hurry to the capital today. I don't feel like staying at an inn anymore."

"Yes, as you wish, young master."

...

It had been some time since Cale's group had left the inn.

He was feeling anxious for some reason. Their trip to the capital went smoothly, and there was not even a need to stop for repairs or shopping.

That was why his anxiety was so annoying, it was completely useless. There was no need for him to be on edge.

In fact, he made it to the capital faster than expected because of good weather and empty roads. Perhaps Hans also had something to do with it, as he seemed on his guard as well.

Today seemed to make everyone nervous, almost like a premonition of sorts.

"Young master! We will be arriving at the inn reserved by the count-nim soon!"

Cale sighed; he didn't feel like sleeping in one of those again. It didn't feel safe or private, and he would have much rather preferred to sleep in the carriage. But his father would hear about it, and useless rumors would spread that would only shine a spotlight onto Cale.

The only kinds of rumors he liked to spread were the ones pushing him out of the spotlight, or ones that only highlighted his trashy persona. But rumors talking about how a noble slept in a carriage over a more comfortable inn wouldn't help him at all.

It would just be mindless drama, and Cale disliked other people talking about him just for the sake of talking.

So, when they reached the designated inn, which his father reserved without his permission, he acted like nothing was wrong.

Hans was more wary of his behavior after the target practice from earlier, but Cale paid him no mind.

This evening, he was just the average trash.

Bang!

The bubbly conversations sank within five seconds after seeing who opened the door.

Tak. Tak. Tak.

"I'm staying in the room reserved by my father, make sure to bring a few bottles of your best alcohol to it in an hour."

"A, alright, have a good evening sir."

Cale observed everyone in the room before clicking his tongue loudly and heading to his room.

After seeing that Cale Henituse had left without breaking anything or causing any other commotion, everyone in the room breathed a sigh of relief and complimented the owner for his brave way of speaking. Conversation also resumed as if nothing had happened, although it was slightly quieter so as to not annoy the volatile youth staying on the floor above them. 

...

"... Hans, what time is the party again?"

"The attendees are permitted to enter the palace starting tomorrow evening at 6:30 pm. It will end at 11 pm. You will have to bring the invitation, as the nobles invited range from the youngest of a family, to the head or next in line. You did bring the invitation, correct?"

"...Hans, before Basen started, I was the one going to events like this. Explaining it to me will only waste your breath."

Hans thought for a moment that Cale looked exhausted as he said such things. But the second he blinked, the look vanished, as if he had seen wrong.