21) BuSiNeSs PrOpOsAl/Cale rats on Assturd

Knock knock knock.

"Count-nim, it's deputy butler Hans, here to report."

"Come in."

Click...Click.

The sound of the door opening and closing seemed to echo in the large office. Hans stepped forward to the count's desk.

"What's the report?"

It had been a few days since Hans returned from the capital with Cale. During that time, Hans' job was to record any rumors, strange behavior, or surprise events.

"Quite a few rumors about the young master are spreading. The first is about how he entered the noble party extremely late and interrupted the third prince's speech, which the young master confirmed to be true."

Deruth's expression showed he had expected something like that to happen. Hans continued.

"The second details the fight the young master started directly after the party concluded. People are saying he knocked Baron Crassterd unconscious for no reason and then beat him black and blue, and that the young master threatened the rest of the nobles who witnessed it afterwards."

"...And what did Cale say about that one?"

Deruth started silently tapping his desk as a sign of how nervous he was. He had heard a lot of murmuring around the estate recently.

"The young master mentioned how the baron deserved it, but would not tell me why. He also stated that the rumors were unfortunately exaggerated, and that he wished he could have beat him black and blue, but was sadly pulled away by me before he could do so."

Grit.

Deruth's teeth made a gritty sound as he ground them together. His only wish was that Cale would stay low and not get into any conflicts, and yet rumors had spread so quickly.

"And the others?"

"The third one... people are saying that the young master... err."

"What is it? Did he kill a person or something? How bad could it be?"

Deruth seemed more frustrated than before, which made Hans hesitate in sharing the rest of the report.

"...Ahem! The third one is about how young master Cale p, proposed to the crown prince."

"..."

"..."

"Hans, I think I'm getting old. I just heard something so unbelievable that my ears must have gone bad. Would you repeat that?"

"T, the young master allegedly proposed to his highness, Alberu Crossman, while drunk."

"Ah, I understand. He proposed a business deal, yes? Perhaps he hasn't gone dull from liquor after all. So, Hans, what were the details?"

Hans awkwardly coughed and looked to the side. He couldn't believe his ears at first either, but it was probably the largest rumor which was circling around at this time. He couldn't deny it.

"...Hans, it was a business proposal, right?"

"I, I'm afraid not. Some nobles claimed they saw the young master place a ring onto his highness' ring finger. After the young master left the party, it was observed that his highness was spacey and didn't speak smoothly like he usually does."

"..."

Deruth seemed awestruck. How could one person cause such varied rumors to spread in under 24 hours. And because of his reputation, they were definitely believable.