CHAPTER III

There was a pleasant smell of saltiness. It was a cool, bright morning. The Thames shone in the sunlight, giving off glittering gleams on the ships docked at the piers. The buzz of voices from passers-by, the shouts and calls from the sailors, and the sound of carriages passing on the streets confused me. Everything was so lively, even though it was early in the morning. The fishing boats were already back in port. The men were busy unloading crates full of fish and seafood, naked to the waist.

My carriage stopped just in front of my vessel, one of the largest and most imposing vessels that was at present placed in the Port of London. I gazed at the ship, awed by all that amplitude. A large white-painted inscription on the transom read "Galatea." The spars, masts, and rods were of fir, the planking instead of oak. She was a sailing ship with four masts. There were openings in the sides, fitted with closing hatches, where the guns installed on the lower decks were placed. Mr. Williams had explained to me that the ship was equipped with guns and cannon to prevent some inconvenience while sailing. He made me a long discourse upon mutinies, and the danger of running into pirates off the coast of America. As there was a large sum of money and various treasures in the ship, Mr. Williams had justly thought it necessary to hire a warship for the protection of the family fortune and myself. Just as I was thinking of him, I caught sight of his figure in the crowd. He was arguing heatedly with the Captain, Theodore Jones.

I got out of the carriage, aided by the valet, and was suddenly surrounded by two sailors who, it seemed, were members of my crew.

"Good morning, miss," they said almost in unison. They hurried to unload my trunks and suitcases.

Professor Brown and his wife came down after me. Mrs. Brown appeared enraptured at the sight of the Galatea.

"Good God, she's magnificent," she murmured, incredulously.

"Miss Adler!" exclaimed Mr. Williams, as I reached him.

"Hello, gentlemen. Lovely morning, isn't it?"

"Perfect for sailing," the Captain affirmed, with a friendly smile. "Good to see you again, Miss Adler. How are you feeling?"

"Quite anxious, I must say."

"Fear not, my crew is one of the best. You are in good hands."

"I guess so. Is everyone already on board?"

"That's right, we're just waiting for you."

"Then we'd better not keep them waiting too long." I then turned to Mr. Williams, unable to hide my agitation. The Captain bowed his head in respect and walked away, leaving us alone to allow me to say goodbye.

Mr. Williams affectionately placed a hand on my shoulder, watching me closely. "You need not fear, Eveline. The journey will be over before you know it."

"I hope so. I've never travelled by sea."

"I’m sure Captain Jones will take good care of you. This sailing ship is one of the most modern and comfortable you could wish for."

"I have you to thank for helping me through this."

"What kind of man would I be if I didn't help the daughter of one of my dearest friends? Give my regards to all the family, Eveline. Tell your father I am waiting to hear from him. The wretch hasn't sent me a letter in months."

I giggled. "He doesn't like writing letters.”
Mr. Williams grimaced. "I know it all too well. As soon as you get to Charlestown force him to write to me, will you?" he joked. "If you have to, give him a slap on the wrist."

"Will do."

"Oh, Mr. and Mrs. Brown have come too, I see! Good morning!"

"Hello, Mr. Williams."

"It gives me great pleasure to meet you again. You've been hosting Eveline these past few weeks, haven't you?"

"Yes, she has been an exceptional guest," Mrs. Brown observed. "So kind, so polite."

"As always!"

At that point the conversation stopped and we all realized it was time to say goodbye. I glared at them. Mr. Williams was still struggling to hold back tears. He was shorter than me, with a large, chubby frame. His grey hair fell over his broad forehead and his hands were stuffed in his trouser pockets. Our mood changed instantly. The tense silence forced us to speak.

"Well," said Professor Brown, "I think it's time for you to go, Eveline."

I sighed, tense. "I suppose."

"It's been a real pleasure meeting all of you," Mr. Williams interjected. "You Adlers are truly... truly wonderful people." A tear slid down his cheek.

"Say farewell from me to your dear wife, and John and Louis," I said.

"Sure, sure!" 

Then I turned to Professor Brown. He didn't speak. He didn't say anything. We just looked at each other. Mrs. Brown smiled sweetly, wished me luck, but I didn't pay too much attention to her words; I just kept looking at him. We shook hands.

"Take care of yourselves, all right?" said Professor Brown.

I nodded.

"I wish you a safe journey and a happy return home."

Home.

Of course, home wasn't here in London, where I'd been born and spent most of my life. My home was where my family was. I thought of my parents, of Henry and Gideon and Mary who were impatiently waiting for me to come go to them, to come home.
I tried to say something, anything. I parted my lips, but there was no sound. I was disappointed in myself, disappointed that for the first time I was speechless.
Professor Brown sketched a gentle smile. "Eveline, I know. I know. Now go and try not to look back."

Before I took the decisive step up onto the gangplank, I stopped. I realized that as soon as I set foot on the Galatea I would never again touch the soil of England, of London.
I looked back. Of course I looked back. How could I not? I set my eyes far away, towards the people, towards the large buildings that characterized the port. I tried to memorize that sight in my mind: the leaden sky, the sounds of the city and all those people hurrying towards destinations unknown to me. The water of the Thames below me was dark and greenish, smelling of dried seaweed and fresh fish. I noticed Professor Brown, his wife and Mr Williams on the quay. They were watching me.

Goodbye, Mrs. Brown.

Goodbye, Mr. Williams.

Goodbye, Professor Brown.

See you never again, native land.