CHAPTER LVII

"Captain!" A shout ripped through the stillness on the ship.

"What's going on?"

"Sir! The girl is stealing a lifeboat!"

"What...? A lifeboat?"

I quickly ran down the stairs, holding Athena tightly in my arms. I put her on a lifeboat with oars and she protested, indignant at how abrupt I was in my movements. But I was in a rush; I had to hurry before Fernsby's crew had a chance to stop me. I climbed into the boat and, with my dagger, cut in one blow the ropes of the lifeboat that kept it attached to the ship. I felt a strong emptiness in my stomach. The boat broke away and plunged swiftly into the sea. Athena sank her nails into the wood and raised her fur, frightened. When the lifeboat touched the water, the thud was hard and the boat bent dangerously. I shifted my weight to the opposite side and the lifeboat slowly steadied itself, fortunately without capsizing.

Heads popped out from above the balustrade. Captain Fernsby's face stared at me with indignation.

"Miss Adler, what on earth do you think you are doing?!" he ranted, clearly confused.

"I apologise so much for the inconvenience, Captain!" I exclaimed, in a blatant tone. "In my cabin is a letter and a sealed chest. Please, as soon as you arrive in South Carolina could you deliver both to my family on my behalf?" I gave him a polite smile, full of apology.

"Why the hell are you stealing one of my lifeboats?"

"I left you some money on my desk, to make it up to you."

"Are you going back? "

'Correct. I have decided to stay."

"You are aware that what you are doing is crazy, aren't you?"

"Oh, yes! But you only live once, right?" I laughed briskly and grabbed the oars, moving further and further away from the vessel. "I'll see you again soon, Captain Fernsby. Have a safe journey."

"For God's sake..." The man shook his head full of exasperation.

"Goodbye! And thank you!" I shouted, carefree.

"When I return, I want to have a chat with you, Miss Adler! This is no way to behave! I warn you! Don't you dare damage my lifeboat while I am away!"

"I will try to avoid the rocks, I thank you for the suggestion," I chanted.

Then Captain Fernsby turned to his crew: "Come on, back to work, dogs!"

The vessel slipped on the water, propelled by the wind. I rowed forcefully in the opposite direction, with a rhythmic momentum, straining not only my arms but also my back. The strokes were swift and vigorous. I struggled against the current, but although it was strong, I managed to overcome it anyway. I was bursting with energy, with pure joy. Not even my sore arms and shoulders could stop me.

The sun burned my face and bare arms. The crests of the waves sparkled. The brilliance of the sky and sea was almost blinding, like a diamond ocean. A tarpon splashed out of the water and its tapered, shimmering silhouette sailed through the air before disappearing back into the waves. I smiled and did not stop smiling until I began to make out the harbour, the shops and taverns. There was no one on the quay, just some fishermen repairing nets. When they saw me arrive, they looked up quizzically and watched me as I hastily moored my lifeboat, tying it to a bollard. Then they stared at my cat, who, frightened by all the water around us, had curled up on my lap.

"Come on."

Athena mewed as I lifted her up to put her on the dock. I jumped out of the boat and began to look around, searching for one person.