CHAPTER XXX

Blood.

That red consistency was flowing all around me.

A rusty smell, of iron and coins.

It was sticking to me and I couldn't get it off.

Finally, a face. No, many faces. But they were not alive and their white eyes stared at me blankly. One of them reached out a hand towards me, grabbed my neck and began to squeeze, harder and harder...

"AH!"

I leapt forward. My heart was pounding. I brought a hand to my chest; it almost hurt.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

I turned to the side. A man was lying next to me, on top of an old mattress full of dark stains. I recognized that face. It was a guy named Francis, one of Arenis' gunners.

I quickly looked around and realized that I was below deck, in one of the Black Star's dormitories that had been used as an infirmary. There were several men, lying on straw mats, cots and mattresses, clearly injured. I looked down at my arm and found it carefully bandaged.

"What happened?" I asked Francis.

"Oh, the usual. You've been hurt, like the rest of us."

"How long was I unconscious?"

"Um... It'll be about fourteen hours or so. You've lost quite a bit of blood, but the Captain has patched you up. She had to suture both of your wounds. "

"Both...?"

"The head."

I touched my head and brushed another bandage wrapped around my forehead.

"Oh."

I was silent for a few moments. I found it difficult to process the events of a few hours earlier. The most brutal images came back to my mind, of disembowelled men and brain fluid spreading on those planks that I had cleaned with a brush and soapy water only a few days before.

"Are we navigating again?" I asked, realizing the Black Star was moving fast beneath me.

"Yeah. The boarding was a fiasco. They only had half their cargo in the hold. The Captain found out from the ship's log that it was split with another ship a few days ago, bound for Havana. We are trying to catch up with her."

"Is the Captain planning to do another boarding? With so many wounded men?"

Francis shrugged. "She thinks she can do it without us."

"It's crazy."

"It's not for us to decide."

I rolled my eyes, exasperated. I tried to get up, but Francis held me back.

"She will kill you."

I looked at him. "What?"

"The Captain told me to tell you that if you even try to get up she will kill you."

I huffed. "What a waste of effort, killing your patients," I retorted, lifting myself up with difficulty. My knees were soft and my muscles numb. My head whirled and I staggered, nearly losing my balance. What the hell? Arenis must have given me something.

I sat back down. I didn't feel like taking a single step.

"There," Francis commented. "It would be better if you lie down."

"What the hell did she give me? A drug?" I asked. "Do you feel the same way?"

The man nodded, "The Captain says it helps keep you from feeling pain."