CHAPTER LIII

A few nights later, a married couple celebrated their wedding in the inn where Arenis was staying. Food and wine were given out for free, so almost the entire crew poured in, ready to get drunk until dawn. The couple consisted of a young pirate and the daughter of one of the carpenters Arenis had hired to refurbish the Black Star.

I observed the two young newlyweds. They wore simple, white linen dresses. Her hair was impeccably braided, and a shell necklace adorned her neck.

Dilthey handed me a glass of wine and I downed it in one gulp.

"Hey, take it easy. You don't want to end up like that time?"

"They look happy," I said, nodding toward the newlyweds.

"They are. Would you like to dance?"

"I never turn down a dance."

Soon the party became a succession of shouts and cackles and laughter. People were tipsy and chattering with glee.

"Where's Jackie?" I asked as Dilthey pirouetted me onto the runway.

"He's having a heated argument with a guy."

"What guy?"

"Turn around. Do you see him, there, next to the musicians?"

"Stevenson's there, too. What are they talking about?"

"The man owes Stevenson money. He's been hiding from him for months. And now Stevenson has found him here."

"Oh. And Jackie Jay meddles in their business?"

"Jackie Jay always meddles in everything."

I burst out laughing and he laughed back. The music changed and we got involved in a group dance. We formed a big circle and let the bride and groom dance in the centre. The boy soared up his bride and spun around so fast he made the girl scream. Then they laughed together, loudly, not holding back. I was captured by that vision, by their affectionate gestures and joyful expressions. To see them express their love so explicitly was absolutely enchanting.

"Don't you envy them?" I asked Dilthey suddenly.

"Who?"

"The bride and groom."

"And, let's hear it, why should I envy them?"

"I have noticed that around strangers you often refer to Jackie Jay as your friend. You even avoid standing too close to him so as not to arouse suspicion."

"Ah..."

"They, on the other hand, are so free to love each other, even in public. Look at them. They do nothing to hide it. They're not afraid. It's easier for them," I observed. "So I was wondering... do you ever feel a tinge of envy?"

Jackie Jay stopped dancing and stood still on the dance floor, not making eye contact with me. "How could I not envy them? I wish I had that normalcy too. I'd really like to know what that feels like. It must be nice."

"What would you do if you weren't afraid right now?"

Dilthey looked at me curiously. Then he sketched a beaming smile. "I would ask him to dance. We are both excellent dancers, did you know that? When we are alone, we dance like madmen."

"Oh, I'd love to see you!"

Suddenly, Naade came up behind us and laid a hand on my shoulder. "Oi, you two," he exclaimed. "Do you know where the Captain is?"

"We haven't seen her," I retorted. "Why?"

"It's getting bad."

"What's going bad?"