CHAPTER XXV

"Captain! Where did you come from?" exclaimed the man, chuckling.

"From the front door," she replied, stymied. "I told you to get Adler back to the ship by nine o'clock."

Jackie Jay blanched. "Why? What time is it?"

"Eleven-thirty."

"Oops."

Arenis tilted her head slightly to the side and glowered at him. "Oops? That's all you have to say?"

"No, of course not... I beg your pardon. I didn't, um, realize it was so late." To make his apology more believable, he accompanied his words with a small bow.

The scene was so bizarre that I burst into a hearty laugh.

"I'm not surprised at all," Arenis continued, ignoring me. "You three are drunk as hell."

"We're just having fun, Captain," I said.

"Well, the fun is over for you, Adler. You can't even stand up straight."

"She's just fine," Dilthey defended me.

"Yes, indeed, I am perfectly fine!" I exclaimed, indignantly. "Why don't you leave us alone? You're ruining our evening like this."

I felt a firm grip on my arm. I tried to struggle, but my movement was too abrupt for the state I was in. I staggered and had to cling to the back of a nearby chair.

"Ow, ow, ow!" Jackie Jay was the one screaming. Arenis had grabbed him by the scruff of his neck and was pushing him towards the exit. I stifled a drunken grin and raised my head until I met the woman's eyes.

"Get out, come on. All three of you. " Her tone was so resolute!

I could sense the whole room spinning as I dragged myself towards the door, making my way through the crowd. The noise of the gambling house was amplified by the alcohol and the stench of rum and sweat was beginning to turn my stomach. Someone behind me had placed a hand on my back, urging me to keep walking. Was it Jackie Jay? Arenis? I didn't turn around to find out. I didn't care.

Suddenly, I wondered what I was doing and why I was going out, when I actually wanted to stay.

"No... wait..."

The door creaked open. The cool night air caressed my flaccid face.

"What are you doing? Let us back in," I whispered.

"I don't think so," Arenis replied, despotic.

Jackie Jay and Dilthey said nothing, their faces bore the unmistakable expression of hangdog.

"Return to the Black Star, sober up. Now," the woman ordered.

"Such manners," I protested, wryly. "I say we ignore the Captain and go back inside, guys. I still have to bet on six, I think it's my lucky number..."

Arenis stopped me. "You are clearly in bad shape. Drink any more and you'll end up badly."

"So what?"

Nausea came over me just then. I tried to take deep breaths.

"Adler, are you feeling ill?"

"What do you care..."

At that point, my body was no longer able to hold in the alcohol.

"Ah!" exclaimed Jackie Jay, leaping backward.

I vomited on the pavement, there, in front of the passers-by. My stomach emptied and even when I had nothing left to throw up, my body was beaten by horrible gags. I had tears in my eyes from exertion.