CHAPTER XXXIX

An hour later, a dozen men came below deck. They tied us up like cattle. Our ankles and wrists bound with heavy shackles and chains. We were chained to each other and it took them some time to get us all in line; it was difficult to move. After that, they took us outside to the bridge where a group of men in blue and red uniforms were waiting for us.

The Royal Navy.

I saw Dilthey's face go white.

"Which of these two women is the one who calls herself Arenis?" asked an officer, scrutinizing Arenis and me with disgust.

"It's her," Thorpe replied, pointing his index finger at Arenis.

The officer looked at her, his eyebrows raised and his eyes as if he were looking at a freak.

"At last we meet."

Arenis said nothing. She just stared into his eyes.

"Where is the money?" said Thorpe then. "I want the money you promised."

The officer turned to two of his subordinates. "Abbott, O'Connell, bring the crate up here."

This was large and apparently very heavy. They placed it in front of Thorpe who, when he opened it, found himself faced with a mountain of gold, jewellery and money. His men gave victorious shouts, others whistled with enthusiasm. The loot was a fortune.

"Hey, wait a minute. I've captured other pirates along with Arenis. I want a reward for them too," Thorpe asserted, with a mocking grin.

The officer gave him a stern look. "This small fortune is not enough for you?"

"It was not at all easy to catch them. They are experienced men."

"Be content with what we have offered you, Mr. Thorpe. You won't get any more money from us."

Thorpe huffed, irritated. "Then I guess I'll just have to take them back."

Suddenly, the English drew pistols and swords, pointing them at Thorpe's crew. The guns were drawn, and all stood to attention, ready to fight. The air was suddenly tense, pirates and Englishmen scrutinized each other with rancour.

The officer sighed. "There are twenty-three British naval ships in this port, Mr. Thorpe. A whole fleet. You don't want to risk a confrontation, I hope?" said the officer.

Thorpe, then, looked towards the port and then shook his head, sketching an amused smile. "Come now, mine was only a simple suggestion. It was certainly not my intention to alarm you in this way. You can take this bunch of pirates if you care so much."

"Are we agreed, then?"

"Of course."

The English took us in charge and lowered us into small wooden boats, where space was scarce and we were forced to stay squashed almost on top of each other. Arenis had not opened her mouth the whole time.

"Quick, start rowing," ordered the officer. "Let's get out of here at once. "

The sea was rough, and the boat was leaping over the waves with such force that we were jolting in our seats. Four men began to row, and we drifted farther and farther away from the Llorona, which lowered her sails and prepared to raise anchor. Suddenly, when we were at a fair distance from the Llorona, the English officer raised an arm upwards, in the direction of the harbour. At first nothing happened, but then, from the fort which towered above the town, a cannon shot flew over our heads, and struck the Llorona in full force. There were terrible screams that filled our ears. There was another loud bang, and then another. The ship was hit again and again. Great gashes were torn in the hull, and the ship pitched over on her side. We saw men throw themselves into the sea, but the Royal Navy sailors loaded their guns and began to shoot at the heads that popped up on the surface of the water. I was paralyzed by that sight, by that premeditated slaughter. The Llorona sank in less than twenty minutes. She was swallowed up by the water and disappeared forever.