CHAPTER XLIV

"Miss Adler," greeted the guard. "What can I do for you?"

"I would like to look for the last time into the eyes of the one who kidnapped me."

"I'm afraid that's impossible. No visitors are allowed in seclusion."

"Come on, John. Be more understanding," another guard intervened. "Stay here, Miss Adler. I'll ask Mr. Dawson what can be done."

"Thank you."

I waited about twenty minutes, then Mr. Dawson appeared, a tall man with a protruding belly. It was he who ran the jail.

"You may enter, Miss Adler. We've moved Arenis to an interrogation room. You can meet her there. Don't worry, she's handcuffed and everything. You're safe."

When Arenis saw me enter, she stared at me coldly. I sat before her and we looked at each other for a long moment. As many as three guards stood outside, near the doorway, their ears straining.

"Adler. " Arenis took such a stern tone that I was intimidated. "What do you want?"

"What do I want? I want this whole thing was just a bloody nightmare. I wish you had never done this to me."

"Have you come to complain about your miserable life with me?"

"Don't you feel even a little bit of regret? No guilt?"

She giggled. "Guilt? What exactly am I supposed to feel guilty about?"

"For everything. For your perversion, for all those gruesome deeds you've committed in life. Don't you repent? Not even before death? You still have some time. You may repent, you may seek forgiveness. You could save yourself from the fires of hell."

She furrowed her brow. "Are you really that worried about my soul?"

"No, I wouldn't say that, no. But I want an apology. I want to hear an apology from you."

She raised an eyebrow. "Is that right? An apology?"

"Yes."

"And would that make you feel better?"

"I hope so."

"Go to hell, Miss Adler. There, that's all you'll hear from me."

"You're heartless, you know that?"

"I've been told that a lot. Actually, I almost think of it as a compliment," she said, gritting her teeth.

"You forced me to hurt people, you forced me to act cruelly!"

"Forced? I didn't do anything at all. This is all your doing. It was you who accepted this life so suddenly. You liked it, didn't you? You loved it, actually. It made you feel strong."

"That's not true."

"Oh, come on. What's the point of lying in front of a person on death row? Whatever you tell me I'll take to my grave. Speak up, then. How did it make you feel?"

"I hated every minute of the day and night spent on the Black Star. I hated you and your crew. I even began to hate the sea because of you."

"Nonsense. You are the same as me, Miss Adler. You felt thrilled as soon as you held a sabre. I could see it in your eyes. I could see the feeling of power it gave you."

"Stop it!"

"Oh, too weak to hear the truth?"

"You are disgusting and your filth has spread over me! You have forced me into so many things I never wanted to do. I feel so dirty! So little myself!"