CHAPTER XXXII

We returned to Nassau to stock up on provisions. We stopped for only two days, an insufficient time to formulate new plans of escape. As Arenis had promised him, Francis learned to walk on a wooden leg. He had received five pounds from the community chest for being wounded like that in battle, and the Captain had assured him that he might as well retire and live a quieter life, but he had refused. "I will continue to work for you, Captain. If you will still have me."

She smiled and patted him on the back. "Of course I still want you in my crew, Francis."

It was during one of those days that Naade called me. I thought something serious had happened, but when I reached him, I noticed he was holding something in his hand.

"A cat?" I exclaimed. "Oh, she's so cute." I moved a hand closer, cautiously, and when I realized she was letting me pet her I sank my fingers into her orange fur.

"It's for you."

"For me?"

"How about taking care of it?"

"Why are you giving me a cat, Naade?"

"I saw rats on the Black Star the other day. We need a ship's cat to get rid of them."

I named her Athena, after the Greek goddess. She was a young cat, must have been little more than a year old, and soon she got used to life on a ship and to sailors. I was the one who fed her regularly, so she soon became attached to me. She would rub against my legs and meow when she was hungry. She sought my attention and caresses and was satisfied when she got them. She would bring the mice she caught in front of my cabin and wait, patiently, for me to give her some reward. Sometimes, when I left the door open, I even found the rats in my bed, and was obliged to wash the sheets and blankets. Athena was a cat who knew how to make herself loved. She let herself be taken by everyone and took advantage of the tender hearts of the sailors to receive caresses and food. When, instead, she wanted to rest, she would go and perch on some beam, high up on the ceiling, where nobody could disturb her. At night, however, she slept with me, on my bed, between warm blankets and a friendly presence.

I loved that cat and I loved taking care of her. She kept me company and even followed me while I worked, like a shadow. Her green eyes would stare at me from afar, curious.

One evening, while I was searching the deck for Athena, who appeared to be hiding somewhere, I saw a figure concealed in the darkness at the very tip of the ship. She had climbed up to the figurehead, depicting an angelic damsel wearing nothing but a tulle-like fabric. The sailors of the Black Star friendly called her Lady of the Winds and she was said to bring good luck during storms. Arenis sat at the very base of the back of her head, her legs dangling out towards the roaring water below her.

"Captain...?"

She did not answer, and even pretended not to hear me. I wanted to reach her, but noticing the water below me and the ship wobbling due to the rough sea, I realized that it would not be easy at all. The wood was wet and slippery. If I had lost my balance, not only would I have ended up in the water, but I would also have been swept away by the Black Star.

"You know it's dangerous there, don't you?" I insisted again.

But Arenis didn't move. She just stared at the horizon, without moving a muscle. I tightened my lips in a vice, nervously. The next thing I knew, my feet were resting on the unstable surface of the figurehead. I raised my hands to keep my balance, but after a few steps my left leg slipped into the void, and I fell. I managed to hold on firmly with my arms, but I hit my forehead with a thud. My eyes were then turned towards the sea, which, on that moonless night, seemed to be the colour of ink.

"Do you want to get yourselves killed, by any chance?" commented the Captain, turning to my side.

Arenis deftly stood up and walked over to me. She extended a hand towards me, inviting me to grab it. She helped me up and allowed me to lean against her. I noticed immediately that her intention was not to get me back to the bridge, but to get me to the furthest point of the Black Star.

"No, I'd like to go back..."

"You have come this far, there is no point in going back."

I held her arm tightly, as if it were my only lifeline, and indeed it was. Arenis showed me where to put my feet and made me regain my balance if I got off balance. When we reached the tip, I realised how stupid this was.

"Don't worry," she reassured me. "You will not fall. "

She forced me to sit down and when my feet touched the void, I closed my eyes for a moment, paralyzed with terror. Arenis sat down in front of me, turning her back to the horizon. Our knees brushed against each other.

"Open your eyes. Look."

I obeyed her request. The waves were crashing over the ship, splashing us with salty spray. Soon I had my boots completely soaked and my leather trousers filled with haloes of water. The Black Star was advancing fast, hurtling over the surface of the sea with her sails unfurled and the Jolly Roger waving in the sea breeze. Adrenaline replaced fear and I began to feel ecstasy invade my soul.

"It almost feels like flying," I said, amazed.

"Beautiful, isn't it? This has always been my favourite place on a ship."

For a few minutes, only silence followed. We both savoured the salty scent of the air lashing our faces and ruffling our hair. Suddenly, I spoke, "You know, I misjudged you."

She turned to me, raising an eyebrow. "Oh, yeah?"

"You helped me, even though you always said you wouldn't."

Arenis didn't answer; I didn't expect her to.

"Thank you," I continued, in a lighter tone.

"What are you thanking me for, Miss Adler? You're still trapped on this ship," she replied, a little annoyed. "Nothing has changed."

"Instead, something has changed," I affirmed. "Now I know you're on my side."

She looked at me. Her expression was strange, almost dumbfounded.

"Will you help me again?"

She hesitated. "When the opportunity presents itself."

"Really?"

She nodded. "I will give you money; your money, enough for you and your family to live a worthy life."

"Why?"

Arenis tilted his head to the side. "Is it so important for you to know why?"

"Actually, no, it isn't. Regardless of whether you do it out of friendship or pity, I'm grateful."

"Grateful? Don't be silly. It was I who got you into this situation."

"Do you think I should hate you?"

"It would be understandable. I don't deserve your forgiveness for the little help I gave you. How can you not hold a grudge? If I were you, I would seek revenge."

"I am not like you."

She sighed. "Indeed. You are not. And maybe that's why I'm struggling to understand you."

"It's curious."

"What?"

"Meeting you was one of my greatest misfortunes," I declared.

Arenis couldn't sustain my gaze at those words of mine and shifted her eyes away from me.

"But it was also a revelation."

"What do you mean?"

"In misfortune, I got to know myself more; my abilities, my limits. I never thought I could become such a person. It may surprise you, but I like this version of me, more than the one I was in London."

"Why?"

I pondered before answering. "Because I feel less afraid."