CHAPTER XVII

The next day I decided to wear a less bulky dress, with skirts not too full. It was a dress that I usually wore for riding; it was worn out, with a greyish and rather coarse fabric. A dress more suitable for maids. But deep down, that's how I felt.

That day we made potato and beef stew for lunch. Apparently, potatoes were served with every meal and I had to peel them again. I had become familiar with the knife, so I was quicker that morning.

My back was sore. I could feel it stiff, and when Harris ordered me to get up and go help him with the meat prep, I stood for a brief moment with my back locked.

"Are you moving or not!"

I straightened up sharply, but it was a terrible mistake. I let out a groan of pain and kept my hand pressed to the sore spot. I approached the cook slowly and cautiously, hoping not to make things worse.

Lunchtime came, and, as we had arranged the previous evening, Dinnington and I met at the crates. The meal arrived on time that day and the crew began to eat. I had noticed that Arenis was eating her meals with her men, not cooped up in the cabin as Captain Jones was wont to do. I saw her chatting light-heartedly with two sailors, sitting on the floor with her back on the railing to be more comfortable. One of the men made a joke and she laughed. She had an instinct to tip her head back when she laughed, revealing her alabaster teeth. She instilled less fear when she was cheerful; she seemed much more tame.

"On the ship we had before, the Black Star, there was a crazy old pirate who when he got mad all he did was bang his fists against the wall. One time he threw a punch so hard that..."

"Black Star?" I interrupted Dinnington. I remembered that name.

"Oh, you know the legend? They're all terrified of that story, and the Captain knows it. That's why she uses fear to her advantage: she calls all the ships she owns this way."

I nodded, thoughtful. "Is she going to rename Galatea, too?" I asked.

"I guess so. She always has."

Silence fell between us and I ate another piece of meat. The food was as good as usual. Although the cook had a sour disposition, the food he prepared was delicious.

There was a high-pitched scream and we all turned around. Arenis had stood up sharply. She was scolding young Quinn. The latter was looking at the Captain with vulnerable eyes. Her hard expression did not give off even a glimmer of emotion. Arenis moved suddenly. She drew the sword attached to her belt and pointed it at the young boy's throat.

I screamed.

Someone turned to me, with an amused expression on seeing me so terrified. Arenis didn't pay me any attention. She held the sharp blade to the young man's throat, but he didn't seem scared at all. The crew began to cheer, thrilled. They all rose from the ground, gathering in a circle in the largest space on the bridge.

"What... what's going on?" I asked Dinnington, uncomprehendingly.

"You should know that every member of our crew has the opportunity to challenge the Captain to take her place. The general rule is that the strongest person commands. You may challenge the Captain whenever you wish, even after years under her command."

"And Quinn just challenged her?"

"Exactly."

"Have you ever done that?"

"Oh yes," he replied, chuckling. "And, as is evident, I have lost. The Captain only gives us one chance. The first rule of this fight is that it never ends in the death of the opponent. If Arenis wins she does not kill the one who dared to challenge her, and the same goes for the challenger."