CHAPTER XIX

It was in the corridor leading to the hold that it happened. Harris had ordered me to fetch a crate full of carrots to add to his soup. As I was carrying them to the kitchen, I sensed a presence in the half-darkness. The crate slipped from my hands. The carrots rolled on the floor.

"If you even try to scream I swear I'll tear your tongue out."

I started to run, but I was too slow. He lifted me off the ground at dead weight, like a doll, and threw me against the wall. The blow took my breath away and I almost fell to the ground. He, however, caught me forcefully and lifted me up, forcing me to regain my balance. I could feel his hands around my wrists, clasped in an iron grip. His body was pressed to mine; his hot, tobacco-smelling breath brushed against my ear.

He managed to hold both my wrists with one hand and with the other he explored my body, sliding his fingers down to my breasts. Tears came to my eyes at how hard he squeezed.

"You're so soft..."

I couldn't do anything. The fear had paralyzed me completely. I couldn't utter a sound or flinch at his touch. His hand dug under my dress, rough, ripping buttons and laces.

My eyes burned with despair and shame.

He pressed a kiss to my lips and pushed to stick his tongue in my mouth. His warm, viscous saliva made me nauseous.

"No..." I murmured, desperate.

"Shut up."

His erection pushed against my thigh and suddenly everything became more real. This wasn't a nightmare. This was really happening. From my throat, a terrible sob escaped. I tried to move, to regain control of my hands, but he held them so tightly that I was unable to move them an inch.

"Please..."

I saw his eyes light up and a scornful grin spread across his face.

"Milady, you have no idea how much I desire you. A woman of high status, and so pretty too..."

He nuzzled my hair. His lips sucked my right earlobe.

"I won't hurt you if you keep quiet. Okay?"

He unbuckled his belt and pulled down his breeches. His hand fumbled under my skirt and lifted it up to my waist.

"...no."

"Ssh. I said be quiet."

Then he pressed a hand over my mouth, hard. My tears gushed out relentlessly, my sobs muffled by his hand pressing so violently against my face.

I closed my eyes and prayed it was just a nightmare, one of those many nightmares I used to have at night. I wanted to wake up. I wanted to run away.

Please.

Suddenly, the man was thrown backwards, away from me. He fell on his back and hit his head on the floor. His member was exposed, his lowered breeches hindering his movements. Arenis pounced on him, holding a dagger to his throat.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing, Smith?" The woman's voice was harsh, so guttural and cold that it scared even me.

"C-Captain! It's... it's not what it looks like! We were just having fun, that's all!"

Arenis grunted. She grabbed his hair with enough force to make him whimper in pain. She pointed her index finger at me, forcing the man's head to rise just enough to look at me.

"Does this woman look amused to you, Mr. Smith?"

"Captain, it's not-"

"DOES SHE LOOK AMUSED?!"