~Familiar Eyes~

POV (Y/n)

-Day 1 in the Scorch-

Immediately after our showers, we are brought to some kind of med bay, and I jump at every needle that they stab into my skin. When I'm ushered onto a treadmill to run alongside Minho I feel my heart grow cold. I don't dare look at him although he tries to catch my eyes several times over. I knew he did what he had to do, and I won't fault him. I just can't forgive him either.

"(Y/n)?" A woman asks as she comes to the treadmill that is now slowing to a stop "yeah," I say confirming my identity "I'm Dr.Crawford, I'd like to talk to you," she says and I follow her towards the corner of the room that Teresa is in. She pulls a curtain to separate us from the others and begins asking many personal questions. When she uses the word intercourse I nearly roll my eyes at the woman "Dr. Crawford, you said you had a file on me from WICKED correct?" I ask and she nods a confused look on her face. "Then why do you have to ask this much? Shouldn't it tell you about me and Gally? And maybe you didn't notice but he's not here, so sorry if I don't want to answer the question about whether I was having intercourse with my dead boyfriend," I tell her storming out past the curtain.

Thomas looks at me worried and I want to glare at him and make him shy away, but I know it's unproductive and pointless. I don't remember anything about Thomas from before the maze besides one painful memory, but I have a feeling he's not afraid of his little sister. "Thomas?" a man asks my brother "yeah," he confirms "come with me please," the man request but I have a feeling as Thomas follows it's not a request.

It's not much longer before they escort me and the boys to a mess hall with dozens of kids like us inside. They leave Teresa behind, and I can't help but wonder why. I'm not Teresa's biggest fan since she held a knife to my throat and never apologized, but she's Thomas's soulmate and I won't let him lose her like I lost Gally. The boys make friends quickly in the hall, but I feel out of place until someone stops at my table. 

She's short and can't be but thirteen, she has a blonde braid down her shoulder, green eyes, and is covered in freckles. "Hi," she greets and something about her voice makes me smile "hi," I say back and she wastes no time coming to sit next to me. "You're (Y/n) right?" she asks and I nod "I'm Lily, Gally's sister. I know you don't remember me, but I remember you since my encounter with a bug," she tells me and I assume a bug is her variation of a griever. At the mention of Gally, though I cover my wrist, this is his sister, and I'm gonna have to tell her he's dead.

"It's nice to um, re-meet you Lily," I tell her, and she smiles but her smile drops as she notices me covering my wrist. "He's dead," she says not asking and a look of someone much older covers her features, I nod not able to look at the girl with eyes I can now recognize too easily, not in color, but shape. When her brows furrow I have to look away entirely, and he laughs at my actions a hollow noise. "Well at least I still have you," she tells me as her hand clasps my own "where are the others from your maze?" I question and she goes quiet.

I can't believe what she says next "they didn't make it," my eyes go wide, this little girl survived alone. I talk to her non-stop until Thomas arrives in the mess hall, and I only exchange a small smile with him. "Good evening gentlemen, and ladies. You all know how this works," Janson announces and I furrow my brows in suspicion "safe haven," Lily whispers "this is the selection to go to safe haven," she continues and I nod.

"Connor, Evelyn, Justin, Peter, Allison, Squiggy, Franklin, Abagail, and Lily," Janson says closing the clipboard and I immediately feel Lily's grip tighten on mine. "I can't leave you," she says fear evident in her familiar eyes, and I want to hold her and keep her with me. Janson's eyes find us at the realization she's missing from his ranks. He takes long strides toward us "is there a problem, Lily?" he asks the young girl who scowls at him clutching onto me tighter. "I can't leave without her, take someone else," she insists and Janson fights a scowl of his own and meets my eyes.

I know what he's trying to tell me and I really don't want to "Lily, if you don't come now I can't secure you a spot," Janson tells her and I look down at the girl and smile at her comforting. I see the guards approaching and I know if I don't convince her a scene might break out. "Lily, you'll be okay, and I'll be at safe haven soon okay?" I tell her and she hardly lets go of me. I stand and hold her hand as I walk with her and Janson to the door. "I'll see you again, I promise," I tell her as she stands in front of me.

She pulls her necklace off and hands it to me "you should have this back for the time being then," she says and I smile taking it into my hands, and she quickly grabs hold of me before Janson ushers her to follow the others. "Good job (Y/n)," Janson says as I watch her walk away and my face immediately sours. "I didn't do it for you," I say before Janson follows Lily, and two guards move into place.

 "Hey, Teresa?" I hear my brother's voice from behind me and I turn to see him standing watching Teresa's form move on the other side of the glass. "Teresa!" Thomas calls again as he meets me at the doors with the guards blocking his path "Hey, hey, hey," the guard says stopping Thomas from even attempting of going further. "Where are they taking her?" he asks and I look to the guard curious about his response "they just have to run a few more tests," he tells us.

 I squint my eyes at the man confused "don't worry they'll be done with her soon," the guard continues. "Why?" I ask harshly "they just have to run a few more tests," he tells me again "is she okay?" Thomas asks stupidly "she's fine," the guard tells us, the first time he's told us the truth since encountering him. Thomas and I are reluctant to go back to our seats in the hall but have no evidence to fight our way past these guys.

The whole time I sit in the mess hall, I stare at the door Lily went through until I remember the necklace I still grip in my hand. I open it to see a simple silver chain with a symbol attached to it, and my breath hitches in my throat at the sight of it. My soulmate mark, and even though I can't be sure I know that Gally must have made this for me.