~I Promise~

POV (Y/n)

-1 Year and 15 days in the Scorch-

We run and have to hide every five seconds with the number of guards swarming the place hunting for Thomas. "If you two idiots hadn't lost your masks this would be a lot easier I tell them as I throw mine to the side. "They're definitely pissed," Gally says and I roll my eyes "good I say under my breath. "How far are the tunnels?" Thomas asks as Newt coughs and I furrow my brow as I go to him. "Twelve blocks," I answer as I look into Newt's eyes and furrow my brows. 

It worked with Brenda but it's not working for Newt, why, why is this happening? "The serum slowed the spread but he needs more Thomas," I tell him as I push Newt's hair back seeing sweat clings to his brow. "Let's go Newt," I tell him as I sling one of his arms over my shoulder. As Thomas and I carry him we flinch at the sound and the sight of the outer wall bursting into flame. I furrow my brows at the sight "they're supposed to take down WICKED not the whole damn city," Gally says looking out at the chaos.

"Gally, we got to go," I tell him in a gentle voice attempting to pull him out of his betrayed state. The last city is falling, I think as I watch the fire and destruction spread through the city. We run as fast as we can despite the destruction and Newt's failing health. When he coughs up black blood as he holds on to me I can't help but run faster. Every time we're forced to stop I feel defeated and angry "you gotta hold on Newt," I tell him and he smiles at me "that sounds like you're scared (n/n)," he tells me, and I scoff at him in surprise. 

"I have nothing to be scared of because you're not going to die," I tell him giving him a rare smile, and Gally puts a hand on my back, but soon the moment is interrupted by gunfire way too close for comfort. "We gotta go!" Gally shouts at us as we watch the tunnels become closed off by explosions and war. We run to an abandoned area where we can be free of the chaos as Thomas radios to Brenda. I look at Gally and try to feel strong as Thomas says we're not gonna make it. 

I look at Newt and feel fear rage through me as the black veins become more prominent in his face, and I have to fight the urge to flinch away. I stand up and pace and Gally grabs my shoulder and spins me to look at him. "I'll get you out of this," he tells me and I smile at him something sad "when will you learn to stop making promises you can't keep," I joke and Gally pulls me into an embrace. "When I get you to the ocean," he tells me and I close my eyes as a single tear falls from my eye.

I'm pulled out of my descent into despair when Brenda begins laughing on the radio "we're coming to you!" she tells us "what are you talking about?" Thomas questions "our ride is here! Just look for us near the tunnels!" she tells us and I can't help but feel hope spark alive. I look at Newt "on your feet," I tell him returning to my position holding him up. Gally and Thomas lead our way guns at the ready "Newt, we're almost there," Gally calls to him "just leave me," Newt says and I scowl at him. 

"That's not gonna happen," I tell him as we stop behind cover we watch as an aircraft passes overhead "that's them! Come on we've got to go," Thomas says as we attempt to get Newt back up again. "Go without me," Newt says again and I look to the others fear covering my features as Newt coughs up black blood. "Minho, you've got to run ahead, and grab the serum. Get back to us as soon as you can," Thomas tells him and Minho nods without hesitation.

"He's right I can cover you," Gally says and I look at Gally afraid to let him go into that madness. As Minho talks to Newt, I pull Gally in for a quick kiss "hurry back, you've got some promises to keep," I tell him and he pecks my lips again.

"I promise," he tells me before he and Minho run off and I can't help but dread the sight of them running away from us.