~The Only Chance We've Got~

POV (Y/n)

-Day 2 In the Scorch-

Thomas is frantic as we rejoin the others hurrying to barricade the doors "We have to go!" he shouts and repeats as I take a small bag and use anything I can to grab useful things, water, blankets, anything! "What the hell are you talking about?" Minho asks as he attempts to approach the frantic Thomas "They're coming! Come on, we gotta go!" Thomas continues trying to get them to understand the urgency, but the boys remain confused and questioning.

"It's WICKED!" I shout as they shout questions at all of us I'm glaring and feeling overwhelmed with anger and fear. "Ava Paige she isn't dead, they're stringing up the kids they call out for every night. They're coming for us now!" I urge and finally get the boys through the vent, and we all scramble as Aris shouts directions to us. "Let's go!" Thomas urges "you go ahead there's something I gotta do," Aris tells him "What are you talking about?" I asked furrowing my brow about to drag the boy out of the vent to follow us. 

"Trust me it's important," he says laying a gentle hand on my arm I search his eyes and sigh "I'll go with him," Winston says and Thomas nods "go, just go!" he says as we begin running with the remaining boys. "Are you sure we can trust this kid?" Minho asks and I scoff "You don't wanna know where we'd be without him," Thomas answers and we hurry to find a way out. We don't get far before running into Dr.Crawford who'd examined Teresa and I just yesterday. "What are you kids doing out?" she asks looking between us all as the lights began to blare overhead along with a siren.

I grab her and point a sharp piece of metal I'd taken from the bunks at her neck. "Take us to Teresa," I tell her knowing Thomas's priorities, she doesn't hesitate and begins to lead us. She's slow but I keep her moving forward and I can feel some of the boy's eyes on me in shock at my actions. "Freeze!" a man shouts down at us and we have to jump out of the way, as he shoots at us, but not with bullets I notice as we evade his shots. Minho stands waiting for the man "Minho what the hell are you doing!" I shout at the slithead before he charges the guard kicking him and causing him to knock out. 

I fight a smirk and rush to the knocked-out guard and quickly take whatever weapons he has. I strap knives to my leg and Thomas takes the gun he was using on us just a few seconds ago. When we finally make it to where Dr.Crawford said Teresa is Thomas and I make a show of force raising our weapons. "Tie them up," I say not looking away from Dr.Crawford, but Thomas is frantic looking for Teresa. "Where is she?" he shouts before handing the gun off to Minho and opening the curtain hiding Teresa. "Guys! They're coming where do we go!" Frypan shouts as he watches the door. I'm quick to action "move!" I shout before knocking over a large cabinet in front of the door. 

My eyes scan the room. "Thomas!" I shout gesturing to the glass window behind us he nods and we grab whatever we can and begin bashing it in. I ignore the pain and put my hand down and jump over the ledge, and once everyone's through I move forward. I bump into a guard who strays for his gun but I take a knife and jump stabbing it into his throat. I fight the bile rising at the action, but push on as his hands stray to the wound I pull my knife out and grab his gun. 

I toss it to Newt who is currently unarmed "let's go," I say not wasting time on the life I'd just ended as we run down another corridor. I can finally see the door out of here as Thomas shouts "There it is!" but once we're up on it, it doesn't budge as he swipes the card "dammit," he mutters as he continues to swipe furiously. "Thomas, (Y/n)!" I hear from behind us and I turn to see Janson with numerous guards with shields coming towards us. I glare and tighten my grip on the knife already in my blood-stained hand.

I walk forward with Thomas "Open this door, Janson!" Thomas demands and Janson has the audacity to smile "you really don't want me to," he says "open the damn door!" Thomas shouts again and Janson stops for a second. "Listen to me! I'm trying to save your life! The maze is one thing but you kids wouldn't last one day in the scorch. If the elements don't kill you the cranks will," he tells us and I glare. "You have to believe me, I only want what's best for you," Janson says and I scoff "let us guess," I start "WICKED is good?" Thomas finishes and Janson gives a sinister smile "you're not getting through that door," Janson tells us but at that very moment, it opened.

On the other side revealed Aris, "hey guys," he greeted and the others began to file out "Thomas, (Y/n), let's go!" Newt shouted to us as Thomas began to fire out shouts at the blockade in front of us. I didn't waste my time on them and hurried to the doors, they had shields and I hadn't had any practice throwing knives. Janson shouts into his radio as Thomas follows me and the door begins to close. He slides under the door just in time, and Aris smashes the keypad hard to prevent it from opening again, Teresa startled and confused asks many questions, but I can't pay attention to her. "We have to go, now!" I shout to them as we begin running out into the outside world.

Sand dunes as far as the eye could see, but we were quick, death makes for a good motivator. We use the cover of darkness to our advantage and when we're far enough out just lay and wait for WICKED to give up on the search. It was hard for us to go too far, sand bellowing in the storm and catching in our eyes. Teresa starts to move away from the group and Thomas calls for her "Teresa, wait stay together!" he shouts as she calls for us to follow as she slides down into cover. I follow her eagerly to escape the sand, and I look around unable to identify much in our dim surroundings besides the fact it was disheveled and had supplies sprawled around the ground.

"Where the hell are we?" Minho asks and I scoff "out of the storm," I tell him as I move further into the building my eyes scanning for anything of use. "We gotta go!" Thomas urges obviously still in a state of panic "No. Thomas, stop!" Teresa shouts at him scared and confused "Tell me what's going on," she orders taking a stand. "It's WICKED, they lied to us we never escaped. Me, Aris, and (Y/n), we found bodies. Too many to count," Thomas explains "what do you mean, like dead bodies?" Minho asks and memories of Lily, Rachel, and even Tony flash in my mind "no, but they weren't alive either," I tell him not stopping to look at them as I flip over different things that lie covered in sand.

"They were being drained... There's something inside of us that WICKED wants. Something in our blood, so we have to get as far away from them as possible," Thomas continues trying to make them understand the horrors we'd found back at that compound. "Okay, so what's the plan?" Newt asks nodding his head finally in agreement with us understanding our urgency. Thomas and I went quiet unsure of what to do next "you do have a plan right?" Newt asks a little louder "yeah, I don't know," Thomas tells him as his eyes hit the ground.

"Well we followed you both out here, and now you're saying that you have no idea where we're going and what we're doing?" Newt asks frantically and I finally stand from where I was crouching "for shuck's sake Newt, we didn't have the time. I'm sorry if we saved your shucking life!" I shout at him taking long strides and feeling my hands curl into fists causing the cut I sustained earlier to bleed more. "Wait! Janson said something about people hiding in the mountains. Some kind of resistance or army," Aris said cutting into my scolding of my former leader.

"The Right Arm, the right arm, maybe if they're really against WICKED they can help us," Thomas says and Newt shakes his head frustrated "people. In the mountains, mountain people. That's your plan?" Newt asks obviously not confident in our thrown-together plan. I can't help but turn away from him as Thomas continues "It's the only chance we've got," He tells the group as I throw my bag to the ground and lay my head on it frustrated with everything. 

This is the only chance we've got.