~Black Veins~

POV (Y/n)

-1 Year and 15 Days in the Scorch-

When Newt and Thomas return their demeanor is off and I look between them confused. Newt barely lifts his eyes off the floor as he speaks "I apologize for my outburst earlier and I feel I owe you all an explanation," he says before rolling up his jacket sleeve, and fear clutches my heart. Black veins I fight the urge to shut my eyes as they meet his "I was trying to hide it from you all, but I'm afraid that my condition has reached a point that I can no longer hide its symptoms," Newt tells all of us. 

My eyes finally fall closed when tears try to escape and I see black veins in my memories of Winston, Ben, Avery, and even Gally. I open my eyes but struggle to look at anyone, "how could you hide this," I scold him the memory of black veins haunting me and making me afraid. "I didn't want to take any attention off of the mission at hand. Rescuing Minho is our top priority," Newt says and I bite the inside of my cheek, so hard I taste a small amount of blood. 

"Minho is our priority, but you can't help us if you're dead!" I shout and grab his arm running my fingers over the veins. I glare at them and at him for a long time "the mission doesn't change. We just need to work faster," Gally says pulling our attention away from Newt's current state. "What do you mean?" Thomas asks speaking for everyone in the room. "We get Teresa tonight, we get Minho out, and the serum," Gally explains eyes flickering to Newt. I look at Newt with hard eyes "Can you survive til morning?" I ask him and he nods.

"Let's do this then," I say turning back to the table as the group begins ironing out all the details. and then before we know it Gally and Thomas are getting ready to go back into the tunnels. "Be quick and don't let anyone see either of you," I tell them my eye flickering back and forth between the two of them and they nod. I then hug Thomas first tight and firmly we break the hug after a long second and I move to Gally and Thomas begins his descent down. "I love you," I tell him as I squeeze him tightly and he squeezes back just as hard "I love you too," he says before pulling away to place a quick kiss on my lips.

When he begins the descent down it takes all my strength not to follow after the two. If anything were to happen to either of them I don't know what I'd do, but nothing will happen I tell myself as I return to the others. 

This has to work.