~Hey, Greenie, ~

POV (Y/n)

-1 Year and 14 Days in the Scorch-

When we finally get to the outskirts of the city walls all I see are people. It's crowded and smelly, you can't move without brushing into someone. "This place has really gone through hell," Jorge says pushing his way between Thomas and me as we try to navigate the crowded place. "We just gotta stay together," Thomas tells him and I scoff "Thomas look around we gotta make a plan in case we're separated," I tell him gesturing to the sea of people around us as we walk. I'm pulled out of my thoughts by a man shouting through a megaphone as a vehicle drives down the crowded street.

The men that sit on top wear gas masks and look downright ghoulish, but one stares at me and even moves to keep eye contact with me when the vehicle moves. I furrow my brows at him and all but scoff disgusted at the display. The stupid fool probably thought I was someone who's long gone now. When we continue on after the vehicles have passed we get up close to the walls locking everyone out from the city, and I want to see more of it. 

I needed to look for a way in, a crack, a hole, an imperfection. "That's it. That's our way in," Thomas says as we push forward "Thomas! This is not what you're looking for. All these people trying to find their way in, you think you're gonna find something they can't?" Jorge asks and I scoff "We have to try! We didn't come out here for anything!" I shout as Thomas and I continue to move forward. It was violent towards the front, we had to push our way through and when we finally got there I felt anger wash through me. 

Guns, weapons, security, all to keep us out "Thomas this doesn't feel right," Jorge says and I nod in agreement. "Thomas, those weapons will blow us to shreds. We need to get out of here, and fast!" I tell him pointing to where the armory was tucked away, and I thank Jorge and Vince in my head for all the weapons training they'd given in the past year. Thomas is silent and glares at the wall, "come on shuckface, we don't have time," I say pulling at him.

Newt comes up to us pulling us in quickly "Hey, guys, we gotta go now. Look," he says pointing at several men in gas masks from earlier pushing through the crowd to us. Jorge pulls out his gun, but I hear a different metallic creaking, and all eyes turn to the walls. "Guys! Run!" I shout at them seeing the movement of the guns and the worried looks of the people around us. We hurry out of range of the guns and Jorge grabs me pulling me out of the way of a blast. But we're ambushed before we can think of our next move, two guys grab Jorge, and one grabs me.

"Let me go!" I shout snarling as Jorge screams for Brenda as we're ushered into a van. Jorge is like a trapped animal and fights hard inside the van, and I'm no better as I grab my knife putting it to a fat man's throat. "Take us to our friends or I swear his blood will paint the floor," I say and I feel the man stiffen under me. "Calm down!" Someone shouts and when I whip my head they tackle me and we all end up in a brawl in the back of the van.

When the doors open shortly Jorge and I jump out onto one of the remaining conscious guards like animals. My knife is back, but my hand is bloodied from accidentally grabbing it wrong during the fight. "Where is she, you son of a bitch?" Jorge shouts as I hold a knife to the man. Brenda approaches and I hear Thomas's voice pull me out of my focus. We pull back sharply and Jorge embraces Brenda tightly as I run to check on my brother, and then I hear something that makes my bones ache. "Everyone relax. We're all on the same side here,"

I turn to him ignoring my brother now my brows furrow tightly as I look at the man in front of me I see his tattoo and I shake my head "what do you mean same side? Who the hell are you?" Thomas asks and I raise my knife in disbelief, but it trembles in my hands. The man pulls off his mask and I gasp for breath like I'm drowning, and I feel hot tears fill my eyes. I refuse to let the ones in my left eye fall, but I have less control in my right and they fall freely.

"Hey greenie," Gally says as my knife falls to the ground.