we can just be friends

- Taylors Pov -

I head into my ear training class and there is a free spot next to Joe, so I sit down there. Its only three days into the semester, but I think I can call us friends by now, right? We sit together a lot after that first day, I don't really know why but it's just been what's happening. I don't mind though; he is really nice and good looking. I haven't heard him play piano yet, I don't have those classes with him, but I'm sure he is amazing at what he does. Getting into this school means you are at your peak best.

«Good morning» he says when I sit down next to him and bring up my iPad from my backpack. «Hi, good morning» we didn't see each other at breakfast, I got a to go breakfast with Selena and we sat outside to get some fresh air. its sunny out there today, so we wanted to get the chance to feel the sun on our skin. We haven't really gone outside much since we got here, so eating breakfast outside on a bench was nice.

«What kind of singing do you prefer?» He asks and I shrug «I have written my own sings since I was 12 and first picked up the guitar. But before that I played the piano and was in a few musicals. So I like a wide range of stuff. I have taken voice lessons for years, so I've sung just about every genre there is. But the stuff I write is my favorite, it's a mix of alternative, pop, and country. I don't know what to call it actually» what I write doesn't fit into one specific category because I dabble in all sorts of things. I'm young so being confined in one category seems constricting at the moment. I've even written some folk songs, at least that's what I think those songs would be categorized as.

«You play piano. Are you a classical guy, or something else?» I ask. «I've played all the classical stuff until my fingers bleed. But I like coming up with stuff myself too, and then play by ear. Not to brag, but I can take any song on the radio and play it after listening to it a few times and not look at the notes» he smirks, and I laugh.

«Well that was bragging Alwyn, but it's a cool thing to brag about though. I can do the same thing on guitar. On piano I can kind of do it, but with cords. I'm not good at free styling with notes on the piano, that's beyond what I can do. But cords I can do. Sometimes it's nice to switch out the guitar for something else»

«At least you can sing though, I sound like a bird choking. No joke, your ears would shatter if you heard me sing. if I sing to something, like if I play a popular song from the radio, I need to be in a soundproof room or home alone, so I don't kill anyone with my horrendous vocals» he says, and I roll my eyes. «You can't be that bad Joe, I'm sure you're good. I'll listen sometime and prove to you that my ears won't rupture» He can't possibly be that bad, but at least he is funny.

«I will, but you should probably sign a waiver that states I can't be held liable for the inevitable damage to you» now I can't help but burst out laughing. I don't know why, because his jokes aren't that funny, but I can't help it.

«Have you tried the pianos in the practice rooms yet? They are amazing» he asks, and I nod. «Yeah, I love Steinway pianos, I have a grand piano from them at home. My parents got it as an accessory for the house when I was a toddler, but when I was six, I started playing with the keys and they put me in piano lessons» I say.

«You have a Steinway piano at home? Lucky. That's really cool. I wish I did»

The class starts, but just before it starts Harry comes into the room and take a seat in the back. I get really nervous when he is around, but I better get used to it because we have plenty of classes together. He is also joe's roommate, so if I want to be friends with Joe, I need to at least play civil with harry. I'm not the one that can be difficult anyway, I broke up with him. He has the right to be difficult to me, I broke his heart.

- joes Pov -

The lesson starts but it's hard to pay attention when the most beautiful girl I've ever seen is sitting next to me. I've never been one that paid much attention to girls, I just wanted to spend my time doing other stuff. I did have a girlfriend at one point, but it was a brief thing that I knew wouldn't last. My time was better spent playing the piano, visiting my brother in the hospital, getting on top of schoolwork, or hanging out with my friends. I made a real effort to still keep my friends even though piano took several hours a day. It was important to me to not lose that part of my teenage years. Its normal to lose contact with some of your high school friends shortly after graduation, but I still have contact with three of them regularly all summer. They are off to college too though, so we won't get to see one another before the holidays. Hopefully we are still in contact by then.