lets work together

- Taylors Pov -

«Okay students. For your final project for the semester, that you will present for the other first year music students at the end of this semester, I want you to go into pairs of two» the professor says, and Joe taps my shoulder, so I turn to look at him «me and you?» He asks me before anyone else can. «Yes, sure»

We already have that deal on playing together at least once a week, so this can just add to that. I do feel bad about not working with Selena, but she can work with tom maybe? What I do know is that it would be way to awkward for me to work with harry.

«Tom, do you want to work together?» I hear Selena ask him and he agrees. So that leaves harry to find someone else. I turn to look at him and his eyes are on me already. I can always feel him looking at me, and it makes me uneasy. I just want us to be friends again, but the way he looks at me isn't a way friends look at friends.

«Now that you've paired with someone, I will hand out the plan for the assignment. You will create a performance of one piece of music. It can either be an original or something that's already written but presented with your own flair to it» she tells us about the criteria, and we are handed out more information about the assignment as well as what they will be looking for when it comes to grading. We have a lot of freedom with this assignment, which excites me. I just want to do a good job though, so I don't make a fool out of myself in front of all the first-year music students. Failing this would be humiliating.

The class goes on before we are dismissed early, that was we can talk about what we want to do for a bit before we need to run along to our next class. Joe and I find a bench inside the building near my next class before we start discussing.

«It would be cool if we came up with something original. we could collaborate and do it together. I can play the piano and you can do the lyrics. we will try to help each other though; I would love to learn about writing lyrics because I've never done it before» he suggests, and I nod. «I would like to do something original too. We will come up with a melody and lyrics together, it will be perfect»

I really want to get a good grade on this, because if I write something original its personal to me. Even if the story I'm telling isn't about me, there Is still something deeply personal about writing music. You're giving a little part of yourself; you're making yourself vulnerable. To be an artist there is a fine balance about having a thick enough skin to handle criticism, but also having a thin enough skin to connect to your craft. I don't want to compromise on my craft for the sake of not feeling anything. It hurts a lot, but at the same time it's also what makes me feel most alive.

«Do you want to start today?» He asks and I bite my lip «I can't. I have a thing later. But I'm free any other day» I have a therapy appointment later, but I don't want to spill that to him. If I tell him he will look at me differently, and that would sting. I know I shouldn't, but I really like Joe.

Looking up into his eyes my breath catches in my throat when his are burrowed into mine too. He is gorgeous, there isn't anything about him that don't scream perfection. I lick my lips and his eyes dart to them. His are pink and look like two pillows, but I can't kiss him. We are at school, and my ex-boyfriend that's still in love with me could come here any second. I might not want to get back together with harry, but I can't make out with someone while he is near. And I don't make a habit of making out with people either, I'm not that type of girl. Kissing means something more for me, it's not just a random act I do with anyone.

**

«Hi doctor ross» I say when she comes on the screen. I'm in one of the practice rooms on our floor because they are soundproof. Doing this session in my room is too risky because I don't want Selena to know. And it's not fair of me to ask her to stay out of the room without giving her any answers as to why.