the train

- joes Pov -

Boston isn't my home, but that's where my family is right now. Leaving here stings but I know I need to go back to New York so I can finish out the semester. While I do that my brother will be at the children's hospital here in Boston fighting against the cancer. My parents will try to be here as often as they can, but they still have to work. It feels wrong to let him be alone here, but this is what he wanted me to do. He didn't want me to throw away my place at Julliard to sit here. For me it wouldn't be throwing it away, but I also see his point of view.

Thankfully I trust his doctor, who also happens to be Taylors mom. She is one of the best pediatric oncologists in the country, and she has promised to take good care of him. Andrea was there to greet him when they admitted him yesterday and my brother seemed to like him. I actually don't think doctors usually make personalized admissions like this, but she knows that Patrick is her daughters' boyfriends' brother, so maybe that influenced it. I don't know, but I appreciate it anyway.

«Try to calm down babe» Taylor mumble as we stand with our suitcases and wait for the train. «Can't help it. Am I a horrible brother for leaving? It feels wrong» I say and wrap an arm around her waist. Its freezing outside, so we have on thick coats, but I still feel her dainty silhouette hidden underneath her tick coat.

«You're not a bad brother for continuing your schooling. And that's exactly what Patrick told you for the last few days too. And he will keep you updated on what's going on with him. and my mom has promised to look extra after him» she says and lean her head against my chest.

The new treatment plan is harsh on his body, and a last option. before you can do a bone marrow transplant you need to put the patient through high dose chemo to kill the remaining immune system. This is so the new healthy bone marrow can take root in their new body. But if the white blood cells don't come up again, ergo his immune system stays compromised, he can't leave isolation. without a working immune system you're exposed to potentially deadly bacteria and viruses that healthy people could handle. That's why he has to be completely isolated during the first few days after they inject the new stem cells.

«I just hope it works. If it doesn't... there really isn't anything left to try. I feel like I might lose him» I say and bite my lip as I pull her tighter. He has a severe case of cancer and there is a real possibility that I might lose him. the odds wary and no one can tell me if he will survive or not. All I can do Is cross my fingers and put my trust in the doctors, put my trust in modern medicine. «I hope so too»

We board the train and find some space to sit. But we are followed by harry as well as it felt wrong to make him sit alone on the way back. I don't appreciate the stunt his parents pulled on thanksgiving, and how he lied to his parents, but I'm not an ass either. We are roommates and sort of friends, so I don't want bad blood unless he makes it that way. However my patience is running thin with him. There is only so much of these little stunts I can take before I get really pissed off.

After we take off our coats, I pull on Taylors waist before she can sit down and tug her down in my lap. «Joe, I can sit beside you» she giggles. «No can-do babe. Its way better to have you snuggled in my arms. No arguments»

She doesn't object and instead wrap her arms around my neck and rest her head against me. «Good thing it's so snuggly to cuddle with you then» she says and peck my lips. I didn't think I was a guy interested in PDA, but I really don't mind after all. All I want is to touch my girl all the time, I can't get enough of her. So why would I care who is watching as long as its PG?

«I'll be your human pillow anytime babe» who would ever object to hold her like this, I could do it all day. She fits perfectly into my arms, and she smells amazing. If I'm not wrong, she uses a shower Gel with some vanilla in it because she always smells like it. Some girls use those really strong perfumes, but not Taylor. She might use perfume, I don't know, but it doesn't smell intense at least. And I'm pretty sure I get a little taste of her natural scent too.