Chapter Four: Might As Well Quit

"Rick?" Rain asked and he nodded signalling for her to carry on talking,

"Could you teach me how to shoot?"
"Yeah, sure, remind me when we have - shit."
"What is it?" Lori asked before looking ahead of them to see the RV had stopped, they came to a halt behind it.
Daryl rode towards their car and Rick rolled his window down,
"Whole highway's full of cars but I think I've figured out a way through." Daryl said before driving around the car and back towards the RV.
The RV started moving again and they followed it, weeving between cars.
Most of the cars looked normal, like a normal traffic jam, some had decaying bodies in the drivers and passengers seats, some of the cars were on their side or completely flipped upside down.
Suddenly the rv stopped again and smoke started to rise from the front of it. Everyone got out of their vehicles to check it out,
"I told you," Dale said, inspecting the damage, "dead in the water."
The group decided to raid the cars for spare parts, fuel, food, water and clothes.
Rain found a car and searched through it, there was some kids clothes, tshirts and a pair of shoes that would fit Sophia, she also grabbed a couple of packets of biscuits and chips and some more clothes for herself, a pair of leggings and a black sleeveless hoodie.
She walked over to Carol who had also found some clothes, she was holding a red shirt up to her body and smiling. She looked up.
"Ed never let me wear nice things like this."
"Hey," Rain said holding up the things she'd collected, "will Sophia fit into these?"
"Looks like it." Carol replied, "Sophia!" She pointed at the clothes and her daughter ran over,
"You want these?" She nodded happily,
"Say thank you to Rain."
S

he looked up at Rain with her big brown eyes, "thank you." she said quietly.
Her and Carl ran off to play and Lori joined Carol and Rain.
"How are you feeling?" She asked Rain,
"I don't know." Rain sighed. "I'm trying to distract myself, think of other things, but that's kind of hard when everything is so quiet."
Suddenly Rick came running out from behind a car,
"Everyone get down." He whispered. "Under the cars."
Rain turned around to Carl and Sophia and pointed at the ground and then put her finger to her lips.

Rain and Sophia were together underneath a car and Lori and Carol were under the one next to them.
They could hear the groaning of walkers getting closer, Rain stroked Sophia's hair and told her it would be okay but she wouldn't stop crying, Rain felt so bad but she covered her mouth with her hand to keep her quiet.
They could see the walkers feet now, dragging along beside them, there were hundreds of them.
"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." She whispered to Sophia, "Look at mommy, she's safe. You can hug her as soon as they're gone."
Rain wondered where everyone was, she could see that Rick was under the car next to Lori and Carl was under the car next to Rick but she didn't know if anyone else was okay.

It wasn't long before the groans and footsteps disappeared and they were alone once again. They were waiting for Rick's signal, for him to say they could get up off the floor but instead Rain heard someone calling her name. She looked at Carol, confused on what to do, "I don't want to leave her." Rain loudly whispered,
"Go, it's fine. I'll watch her." She whispered back.
"Okay," Rain turned to Sophia, "I have to go, but mommy's just there and the walkers are gone."
Sophia nodded,
"Do not move until Rick or your mom tell you to."
She nodded again so Rain shuffled out from under the car and headed towards the shouts.
She found Daryl knelt on the ground next to T-Dog who was sat in a car,
"You're the medic right?" Daryl asked,
"I can be." she replied,
He grabbed T-Dogs arm and took off a tshirt that was tightly wrapped and tied around it, underneath was a large, bloody gash.
"I cut my arm while trynna hide from a walker." he said,
"Shit, okay." She replied in shock at the injury, she turned to Daryl. "Wrap it back up with the tshirt and stay here, I'm gonna go get my stuff from the car and try and find some painkillers."
It wasn't long before Rain returned with her rucsac, some meds she found in the glove box of a car and someone's sewing kit. She gave T-Dog two of the pills before unwrapping his arm again, she poured some water onto the wound and also onto a clean part of the tshirt and cleaned him up.
"I'm really sorry about this." She sighed before pulling a needle and some thread from the sewing kit. She thread the needle and pierced it through the skin at the top of his cut, he gasped instantly and gritted his teeth together as she pulled the needle all the way through.
"Grab my arm." Daryl said and he obliged, clutching Daryl's forearm until his knuckles turned white.
Rain almost didn't have enough thread for the whole thing but she managed to sew the cut up just as T-Dog's pain meds starting to kick in.
She wrapped his arm up in a bandage and they walked back over to the rest of the group.