Chapter Thirteen: Moonshine

"We're not the only survivors," Beth said, "we can't be."
Daryl looked up from the fire and glared at her before looking back down,
"Rick and Michonne could be out here." she continued. "Maggie and Glenn could have made it out of A block."
Daryl stayed quiet,
"You can track them." she said as she stood up, she grabbed a knife from beside the fire and started to walk away, Daryl sighed before stamping the fire out and following.

The pair were out searching the rest of that night and the next day but found nothing that could help them find anyone they knew.
"I need a drink." Beth said and Daryl threw a bottle of water over to her,
"No, I mean a real drink," she said, "as in alcohol."
Daryl ignored her,
"I've never had one because of my dad." She continued, "But he's not exactly around anymore so..."
Daryl still ignored her and focused on the snake he was eating instead,
"Well enjoy your snake jerky."

Beth walked into the woods until she heard growling, she quickly pulled out her knife and hid behind a tree, watching the three walkers looking around before walking away. Suddenly a twig snapped behind her, she jumped and turned around, it was Daryl.
"Hey, you had your fun." he growled as he dragged her back to their camp,
"What the hell is wrong with you?" Beth shouted and pulled her arm out of his grip, "Do you feel anything? Yeah you think everything's screwed. I guess that's a feeling."
Daryl just stared at her,
"So you just wanna stay here the rest of our lives, staring into the fire and eating mud snakes?" She continued. "I know Rain wouldn't want it to be like this."
Daryl lip quivered,
"Don't talk about Rain!" He shouted but Beth didn't cower,
"Whatever," she said, "I'll get my own damn drink." before walking off.

It wasn't long before Daryl joined her and they found a golf club, the floor was littered with dead walkers and sleeping bags and around twenty walkers hung from the ceiling with power cords around their necks. After a while of looking around, they found a bar. It was a fancy one too, a large wooden bar with a glass top and brass taps, there were three round tables surrounding it with large leather chairs and a pool table and dart board in the corner. Beth picked up a bottle and read the label Peach Schnapps.
"Is it good?" She asked Daryl,
"No." he replied,
She continued to look at the bottle and fiddle with its cap, twisting it backwards and forwards, then she started to cry.
Daryl ignored her at first, instead throwing darts at a large picture of old, rich, white men who used to come to this golf club, but then he walked over to Beth and took the bottle from her hands before smashing it on the floor,
"Ain't gonna have your first drink be no damned Peach Schnapps," he said walking towards the door, "Come on."

"Found this place with Michonne." Daryl said, stopping infront of a small cabin,
"I was expecting a liquor store." Beth replied disappointed,
"Nah, this is better."

Inside was dark and dirty, Daryl picked up a crate from the corner of the room filled with jars of clear liquid,
"What's that?" Beth asked,
"Moonshine."
He poured some into a cup and handed it to her, hesitantly she lifted it to her mouth and took a sip. She grimaced as the liquid slid down her throat,
"That's the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted." she giggled before downing the rest of her cup.

"Who'd go into a store and walk out with this?" Beth laughed holding up a large sculpture of a large, hot pink bra filled with cigarette butts.
"My dad, that's who," Daryl replied, "he'd use them as target practise."
"He shot things inside your house?" Beth asked,
"It was just a bunch of junk anyway." Daryl replied, waving his arm. "That's how i knew what this place was. My dad had a place just like this. You got your dumpster chair," he pointed to the old, rotting armchair in the corner of the room, "that's for sittin' in, in your drawers all summer drinkin'. Got your fancy buckets," he pointed on the floor next to the chair at a small metal bucket, "that's for spittin' chaw in after your old lady tells you to stop smoking. You got your Internet." he picked up a newspaper from the arm of the chair.

Daryl sat down on the 'dumpster chair' and Beth sat on the floor next to him.
"I've never shot a crossbow." She said. "So now you drink."
Daryl picked up the jar and took a swig,
"I've never been out of Georgia." he said and Beth picked up her cup,
"I've never been drunk and did something I regretted."
Daryl picked up his cup and hovered it to his mouth,
"I've done alot of things." he said before drinking. He thought for a second,
"I've never been on vacation."
"What about camping?" Beth asked,
"Nah, that was just something I had to learn, to hunt."
"Your dad teach you?" She asked and he nodded. "I've never been in jail."
Daryl glared at her for a moment,
"Is that what you think of me?"
"I didn't mean anything serious," she tried to explain, "I just meant like the drunk tank."
Daryl picked up his drink and stood up, "I'm gonna take a piss." He walked over to the corner of the room and dropped his glass on the floor making it smash. Then he unzipped his trousers and started to urinate on the floor, Beth looked away uncomfortably.
"Oh wait, its my turn right?" Daryl asked as he did his zipper back up and turned to face Beth. "I've never eaten frozen yogurt. Never had a pet pony. Never got nothing from Santa Claus. Never relied on anyone for protection before, hell I don't think I've ever replied on anyone for anything." He was getting louder and louder with each point. "I've never sung out in front of a big group out in public like everything was fun, like everything was a big game. I sure as hell never cut my wrists looking for attention."

Daryl picked up his crossbow and dragged Beth outside,
"You ever shot a crossbow before?" He asked as she struggled to get away from him.
He shot an arrow at a walkers chest pinning it to a tree, he then continued to shoot it multipletimes, avoiding it's head,
"Come 'ere Greene, let's pull these out and get a little more target practise."
He headed towards the walker but Beth ran in front of him with her knife and stabbed it in the head,
"What the hell you do that for?" He asked angrily, "I was having fun."
"No, you were being a jackass." Beth shouted back. "If anyone found my dad..."
"Don't!" He interrupted her. "That ain't remotely the same."
"I know you look at me and you just see another dead girl." She said, her eyes welling with tears. "I'm not Rain, I'm not Carol, I'm not Maggie and you don't get to treat me like crap just because you're afraid."
"I ain't afraid of nothing." Daryl replied quietly,
"I remember," she spoke, "when that little girl came out of the barn you were like me... and now God forbid you let anyone get to close."
"It's too late," Daryl almost whispered, "everyone we know is dead."
"Daryl just stop." she said calmly, putting her hand on his shoulder,
"You're dad..." He choked. "Maybe I could've done something."
He bowed his head and started to sob as Beth wrapped her arms around him.

- Princexiero xx