Chapter Twenty-Five: Dead

Rain got out of bed and put on a pair of black jeans, a black button up shirt and black boots, she tied up her braided hair into a ponytail and walked through Maggie's office and onto the balcony where she was stood holding Hershel. Maggie smiled and handed her the baby,
"Thank you so much for taking him for me." She said,
"It's no problem, really." Rain smiled as Hershel played with the blue bird charm that hung around her neck,
"I shouldn't be gone long."

Rain headed downstairs, it was a nice day and she knew her and Hershel would benefit from the fresh air.
"These are the vegetable patches." She spoke to the baby. "This is where all the yummy food grows." She bent down so that Hershel could brush his fingers across the long blades of grass and leaves of vegetables that were sprouting from the ground, he giggled as they tickled him.
"Hey Hershel." A lady who was gardening nearby spoke and Rain turned him to face her and held up his hand to make him wave. The lady handed Rain a juicy red apple from her basket and Rain took it gratefully.
"And who have we got over here?" Rain said as she stood up and approached Tara, she held Hershel sideways by his stomach as if he was flying.
"You on baby sitting duties today?" Tara laughed,
"I am." Rain replied. "You wouldn't believe how similar it is to leading the Saviours. Hershel's way more well behaved than them, aren't you gorgeous?"
"Oh I just remembered," Tara said, "Jesus needs to talk to you."

Rain eventually found Jesus and when he saw her he didn't look happy.
"What's up?" She asked him and he sighed,
"Why did you let Maggie go?" He asked and she looked at him confused,
"I don't know where she went."
"Daryl didn't tell you?" He asked and she shook her head,
"Why does Daryl know?" She asked. "What's going on?"
"They've gone to Alexandria." Jesus replied. "To kill Negan."

Rain gave Hershel to Enid and apologised profusely for doing so, before jumping on her motorbike and leaving the Hilltop. She hated Negan as much as Maggie and Daryl did and she disagreed with Rick's decision to keep him alive but she couldn't let them go behind his and Michonne's backs like that.

Rain was nearby the bridge that they had recently finished building when her bike started to splutter and then suddenly it cut out completely. She got off, dragged it into the woods and found a bush to lay it under so she could come back for it on her back from Alexandria. She continued her treck when she heard someone calling her name, she turned around but nothing was there so she continued on, she must have imagined it.
"Rain!"
She stopped where she was and looked around in every direction but still nothing, her heart was starting to beat faster now but she continued walking. Suddenly she jumped at the sound of a branch cracking behind her, she pulled out her knife and clutched it tightly before turning around. It was Daryl.
"Jesus." She sighed,
"Sorry." He grunted. "I found your bike, thought you were in trouble."
Rain ignored him, she had seen something through the trees.
"What is it?" Daryl asked as he followed her walking towards it.
She got to the edge of the trees to see a huge heard of walkers stumbling towards the bridge.
"Is that Rick?" Daryl asked pointing to the front of the heard where Rick was, clutching his stomach, dripping with blood and trying desperately to get away.
"We have to help him." Rain said but Daryl held her back,
"Wait." He said. "The bridge won't hold, the walkers will fall in, he'll be fine."
They watched as he made it to the other side of the bridge and stop there to watch the walkers, he thought they'd fall too but more and more of them were making it across. By now the bulk of the heard were on the bridge and it wasn't even creaking.
"Shit." Rain whispered as Daryl lifted up his crossbow and started taking out as many walkers as he could, Rain grabbed her gun and helped him. They both watched as Rick pulled out his gun, he wasn't pointing it at any walkers though, he was pointing it at something on the floor, a box of dynamite that had been knocked over.
He pulled the trigger and the bridge exploded into a ball of fire.
Daryl dropped his crossbow and Rain let him fall into her so they could cry on each others shoulders.
Rick was dead.

- Princexiero xx