Run(Ch.13)

Five months later

Aviva

In the past five months, I have experienced the most peaceful time in my life, ever. Apart from occasionally having dizziness and back pain because of my growing stomach, I have been happy and content. We haven't picked out any baby names yet, so i'm really looking forward to that. I have a few a ideas, but every time Cam hears it she ends up not liking them so I'll let her pick the name.

In case it's a boy, I considered Johnathan, but Cam didn't like the idea. In regards to naming our daughter I said Anne, she said I should not name her an old woman name. The name that Cam is thinking of for our new baby has been on her mind for the past five months, but she still hasn't decided or she just hasn't told me yet.

Everyone is gathered in the Living Room to discuss the Zombies that have been showing up recently. Spring has just hit and all the snow that surrounded our cabin is gone now. So I think that has something to do with it. My theory is that the freezing temperatures and the thick snow kept the Yellow Eyed Zoms from being a real threat but now their limbs have loosened, they're hungry and they are going to look for food.

Cam is sitting next to me in her own world without contributing to the conversation while everyone else is talking amongst themselves. Sofia and Solei feels we should be scouting the area, Veer and Sakai want to stay put and to not go out looking for danger. Lue is sitting in silence the same as Cam. I finally break my silence by saying "There should definitely be lookouts, its not winter anymore veer, plus its better to be safe than sorry."

"Who's going to be on the lookout? You for obvious reasons can't and Camdon isn't going to leave your side to be look out, Sofia isn't being lookout either, So that's our two best fighters out of the question." My brother says.

A menacing look flashes across Sofia's face.
"Why would I not be part of the lookout? " She says.
"The reason is because it is dangerous." Veer responds visibly gulping at the mistake he made in 'controlling' Sofia.

Everyone was quiet not knowing what was going to be said next.
"I'm going." Sofia Demands.

I was surprised to hear Cam say "Me too."
I don't have a problem with her being the lookout, it surprised me because ever since I have started showing she hasn't been wanting to leave my side.

I pull her hand into mine massaging her knuckles, "Are you sure?" I ask. She nods and kisses the back of my hand. "Me and Sofia got this, you guys just chill okay? We'll find out where all these Zoms are coming from and block off their path. Easy Peezy."

"Okay I trust you." I say.

There is no doubt in my mind that she can trust me. I have made sure she understands that.

The meeting was adjourned, and everyone continued with their day, while Cam and Sofia left. Before she left out the door, I embraced my girlfriend tightly. It had been quite some time since we had faced any sort of threat, so I hope they will be safe.

Cam

I'm going with Sofia to see where all the Zoms are coming from, I wasn't going to go until Sofia said she was, We are good in the field together. I wanted to die laughing at what Veer said. I know he doesn't want her to get hurt or whatever but trying to dictate what she does, is not how you protect her. I'm still laughing inside about it. Veer is not an authoritative guy, he's a nurse. His sister has more sway over the group than he does, So he should pump his brakes and stop trying to lead. It doesn't suit him.

"Sofiaaaa!" I sang out "Did he really just try that shit with you?"

"Aye dio mio, He did. He's so fucking cringe sometimes I can't stand it." She admits "I know he means well, But I don't need him too."

"To what?"

"Mean well."

"Yeah that makes sense. He's a funny guy." I say with a chuckle.

We're going a couple miles out to find wandering zombies, but the scenery isn't much, just trees and small animals. Our knives are in our hands as the first line of defense and our guns are on our hips in case something goes wrong. Like running into people.

"Yeah, He told me that he wants to be taken more seriously. I don't know how to help him."
"Veer doesn't need to be taken seriously, He should just mind the business that pays him." I say

"Are you guys still on the outs?" Sofia asked me as we approached an open field with tall grass.

"Vi and I had an argument a while back and Veer and I exchanged just a couple words, nothing crazy. Since then, I feel that he no longer wants me around. I used to want his approval, But now I don't give a fuck."I confess.

Veer has been acting strange towards me, I don't care enough about it to ask what the problem is. Vi loves me and that's not going to change that.

"He doesn't hate you." She says sincerely.

In the distance, I noticed something moving ahead of us in the tall grass, Sofia noticed too, and we both stopped in our tracks. Something is moving in the still grass, we don't know what or who it is. Our guns are drawn at this point seeing as we can't identify what stands beyond us.

"Who are you!?" Sofia yells with as much bass in her voice as she manage. But the person doesn't say anything, it begins to shuffle towards us, giving away that its nothing but a Zom shuffling towards us in the tall grass. Sofia puts her gun away to stab the singular Zom while mine is still drawn.
The hairs on my arm are standing and I can't understand why. Sofia had just taken out the only Zombie we can see. Something else is out there, I can hear it.

"C'mere, I need you to climb onto my shoulders."
"Did you bump your head or something when I wasn't looking. Why do I need to climb on your shoulders?" She says playfully.
"We need eyes in the sky, If something else is out there you'll see it. Now come on."
"Fine."

Sofia climbs up my back to get to my shoulders, and as soon as she gets there, she grabs my hair firmly. Her body tenses.
"Careful, that hurts." I mumble " What do you see!"

"Sofia! Do you see anyth-" She suddenly slapped her hand on my mouth to cover it. She leaned her head down and told me to shut up. She hopped of off my shoulders in sheer panic mode. Her eyes were moving rapidly while she checked her ammo clip.

"Yo, what did you see?" I whisper trying to not look as scared as I really am.
She runs her hand through her hair frantically "A horde, a fucking shit ton of Zombies."

Is that what i'm hearing? A horde?

"How many?"
"I don't know, 100...200. We don't have enough bullets for this shit." She says in a frantic whisper.

I've never seen Sofia scared before so this is new. If there's as many as she says we need to go back now.

"Sofia we have to go now."
"Go? They're going to reach the Cabin by night fall, we have to slow them down or something."
"No we don't." I slightly push her in front of me
"Run."

As she takes off, I follow right behind her running like a track star. Although I wasn't able to see what she just saw, I have a suspicion that I soon will.

Nothing beats a good ol time skip.

🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏾‍♀️