Two more (Ch.22)

Aviva

I feel tired and exhausted. My eyelids are as heavy as a stack of bricks, weighing me down and making it hard to keep my eyes open. The last thing I remember is Cam holding the baby, I remember something was wrong. I can't remember what it was, but the feeling of dread lingers in my chest, refusing to be denied. Am I dead or something?

A baby crying shook me to my core and relief took over my body. I'm not dead.

I was relieved, but still wary, as my mind raced to figure out what had just happened. Had I experienced a near-death experience? Was the crying baby a sign from the universe? No matter the answer, I knew I was alive and that was enough for me.

Despite being completly drained I forced my eyes open to see everyone still by my side. This reminder of the love around me kept me going, even in the toughest of times. Cam was holding our baby pacing back and fourth to stop him from crying. Every cry from our baby brought a new level of hope and strength to me. When I tried to sit up, I ended up grunting in pain as my sore muscles made me unable to sit up.

As Sofia's voice rises from the corner of my eyes, I see her emerge from behind me with a baby in her arms. "Take it easy mama, you just gave birth." "It's ok," she coos, "you're going to be alright." She gently places the baby in my arms, a reminder that I have new life to care for.

I think i've officailly gone crazy. Did I have twins? I'm not sure if I'm imagining things, or if I really did give birth to two babies! Whatever the reality may be, it's clear that I'm completely overwhelmed by what's happened.

Veer is holding a baby as well, Sakai and Sol are circling him and the newborn, making silly noises to the newborn as he holds it. Veer's face is radiant with joy and pride as he cradles the newborn in his arms, Sakai and Sol's eyes twinkle with delight as they take turns to coo and nuzzle the infant.

I think I might pass out again. Did I have triplets!? That would explain why I'm so exhausted!

Cam turns her attention to me while holding baby Vesuvius in her arms, "Hey look, there are three of them!" she exclaimed with excitement as she looked at me. I looked at the baby in my hands and asked "What's their names?"

"This one is Vesuvius," Cam replied, emphasizing the significance of the name. "And the little guy that you're holding is Zerci, which is a unisex name. Uhh... our little girl that Veer is holding is Kilauea." "Names have a lot of meaning for us," Cam added. "Vesuvius and Kilauea are both the names of famous volcanoes, and Zerci is a unisex name that means 'brave and strong'."

"All right, you'll have to hurry up and whip out those titties so we can feed our liter." Solei says now holding Kilauea, who is crying. It was like watching a mother bird care for her chicks; Solei was nurturing the baby Kilauea with the same love and attention as if she were her own. It's nice to know my babies are already loved so much.

"Um... okay can I get some privacy please?" I say softly staring into baby Zerci's eyes.

"Really we were all just gawking right into your uterus."

"Yes please."

"Okay." She gave Kilauea to Cam.

My brother kissed the top of my head before he took his leave, and they all gave me a gentle hug before leaving the room. Cam sat on a table holding our son and daughter with his arms around them, rocking back and forth. It was a comforting moment, one that I will never forget.

"You okay?" She asks finally taking her eyes off the babies and looking me directly in mine. "Yes" I reply, feeling her love and support wash over me like a warm summer breeze. "My body is sore, mainly my lower half, I need to go to sleep right after I finish feeding all three of these little guys." "Take your time," she says, firmly but gently. "I'm here for you if you need anything."

"Here I think I can feed two at once." She reluctantly handed me Vesuvius.

"Don't overwork yourself. Veer and I scavenged some baby formula a few weeks ago. So just take it easy." She said.

"I will."

Solei came back with a bottle of milk in her hand and her hand covering her eyes. "Here. For Kilauea or which ever one isn't eating right now. I don't know because I can't see you or your boobies."

Cam grabbed the bottle from her and began feeding baby Kilauea.

"Thanks Sol."

"What are best friends for." She said before leaving again.

I took a few deep breaths as I stared up at the ceiling. I smiled to myself, thinking of how lucky I was to have a friend like Cam. I felt a warmth in my chest as I thought of all the times she had been there for me, and all the times she had helped me out of a tough spot. I silently thanked her, and whispered to myself, "I love you, Cam."

Her ears are so good that she can hear everything. "Are you ok?" she asks.

"Yeah I was just saying how much I love our little ones and you."

A smile spreads across her face as she sits back down.

She added, with a contented sigh as she looked around the room, "I love our little ones and you too."

When we finished feeding the babies everyone came back in and rocked the babies to sleep while Veer did his nurse thing and Cam made sure that I ate myself. Everyone felt a sense of satisfaction, knowing that the little ones were safe and secure in our care.

My little June babies are too cute, they favor Cam in looks mostly. For example, the babies have Cam's warm brown eyes, and their little noses scrunch up in the same way when they smile. They have a head full of dark thick hair. But when they cry, they sound like a herd of cows!

There is no doubt that being a mother will be an enjoyable experience for me now that the hard parts over. I'm excited to see how the little one's hair will grow and change, and to hear their little voice, instead of the sound of cows, when they cry.

👋🏽👏🏾👏🏾