V.Void(Ch.21)

Three months later

Aviva

When we came home three months ago and I have been getting bigger and bigger. As my pregnancy progressed, I was filled with joy and excitement to welcome our new baby. Since I started walking with Cam every morning, she has been overjoyed. She says it will help the baby come sooner. This is because walking helps to stimulate the uterus, which can help to start labor when the baby is ready. Walking also helps to increase the production of oxytocin, which is a hormone that helps the baby move through the birth canal. I may have been reading the pregnancy book my brother found a while back.

Cam and I are walking around the lake right now hand in hand. We're both excited to finally be expecting our first child. The lake is a beautiful place to walk, and the fresh air helps to relax me and make me feel less anxious about the pregnancy. The sun is shining, and the birds are singing. It's a peaceful moment to take in and enjoy.

"We should head back in." Cam says beside me. I don't want to go in just yet.

"Not yet baby please."

She sighs and stares at me.

"Vi, We've been walking for too long. Veer says you need to stay inside anyways." I shake my head. "I can't just stay inside all the time. I'll go stir-crazy." The only time I get out nowadays is on my walks with Cam. For instance, on our last walk, we found an old abandoned garden and explored it together, finding all sorts of forgotten shit.

"Fine, but only if you sit down. NO more walking." She says sternly. Taking my hand, she helps me sit on the grass. I guess she thought I was made of porcelain or something. Her grip was reassuring and steady, like a rock that would never falter no matter what storms came.

"You good?" She asks sitting next to me.

"No." I say flatly.

She shifts her whole body to look at me but I stare straight ahead. She takes my chin gently and turns me to face her.

"Why, what's going on? Talk to me." I take her hand from my chin and sit it in my lap, caressing her knuckles. "I'm sorry," I whisper, as my eyes fill with tears. "I don't know what to do."

"About what?"

"What if I die giving birth?" I confess. Childbirth is a natural process that the human body is designed to do. With the proper care and precautions, the risks of death during childbirth are very low. But without those precautions the risk rises. It's been bothering me for a long time.

"We won't let that happen." She rests her arm on my shoulder and kisses me on the head. Taking a moment to look at her, I examine the now healed bullet wound on her neck and my hand unconsciously moves toward my scar. I exhale a deep breath, thankful that we were able to escape the violence of our past and start anew.

"Do you want to go back now or stay out here a little longer?"

"Stay. I like being out here alone with you." Suddenly a sharp pain enters my stomach causing me to jerk forward. Without skipping a beat, I say "Maybe we should head back now."

I was helped to my feet by Cam with her panic-filled eyes. "Let's go."

" I'm fine baby. It's just a little contraction." Boom, suddenly a sharp pain hit me in the abdomen and I winced in pain, grabbing at it with both hands. Fuck this really hurts, I think I overdid it with walking this morning. I gritted my teeth, trying to hold back a scream, as a wave of pain radiated from my abdomen. I knew that I had pushed myself too far. I was scared, but I knew that I couldn't panic. I just had to focus on taking slow deep breaths, and trying to relax my body.

It wasn't raining so why are my legs wet? But before I could process anything Cam swept me off my feet in bridal style and began full on sprinting to the cabin. I don't know how she's this strong. It was as if she had been given superhuman strength, like she had been granted the power of flight for a brief moment in time. "Slow down!" I say gripping onto her shirt.

"No. It's happening. Oh my god its happening." She pracically kicked the door open and sat me down on the couch. I cry out in pain as the contractions are getting longer and stronger. I start to feel the panic rising in my chest as I realise that this is really happening - I'm in labour. I'm not ready, i thought I had more time.

The contractions might be painful and frightening, but ultimately they are a sign that the baby is on its way. Try to stay calm and focus on the positive outcome of the situation.

Cam kneeled by my side rubbing my thigh. "Veer!" She shouted. My brother and came flying down the stairs with Sofia, Solei and Sakai following closely. His face was a mix of worry and confusion as he ran towards us. "What's wrong!"

"I-I think she's in labor." Cam stumbled out.

I screamed out in pain again as I feel pressure coming from my vagina. My contractions had been coming more frequently and with more intensity, and I could feel my baby moving down towards the birth canal, indicating that labor had officially started.

Cam laid me down on the couch and yanked my shoes off along with my jeans. I was in so much pain that I could barely focus on what was going on around me. I knew that the contractions were going to get worse as time went on, but I am worried about how I was going to make it through the rest of the labor. SaKai stands over me holding my hand and telling me how to breathe. Sofia and Solei run to grab things my brother is listing off and I am in complete pain sweating like a maniac.

The baby is coming today, right now.

My brother and Cam look like there's something wrong.
"This is happening too fast, Sofia towel, the head is almost out." I hear my brother say through my labored breathing. How is the head almost out when I haven't been pushing?

"PUSH!" I hear Solei shout out with excitement. I squeeze Sakai's hand tighter than ever before and push with all my might. It was like trying to push a boulder up a hill, but with each push, the boulder got smaller and smaller until it eventually disappeared.

With the chaos gone, I was able to focus on the sound that mattered most - the cry of my newborn.

My baby was wrapped in the towel when Veer handed it to Cam.

"It's a boy. But considering Camdon's condition the little one could also be a girl. Only time will tell," he said.

"What's his name?" Sofia asked.

"Vesuvius." Cam spoke while staring lovingly at our new born son. Feeling overwhelmed with joy, I smiled back at Cam and said, "Welcome to the world, little Vesuvius Void."

I held my arms out wanting to have skin to skin with him but my body went back into distress and horrible pain came back in waves. I cried aloud in anguish I was being torn to shreds again.

"What the hell is going on!?" Solei yelled at Veer. Veer looked back at her, his expression unreadable.

Cam's smile disappeared as I lost consciousness.

🥳🤱🏾