Exposed(Ch.15)

Cam

"Step on it!" I yell out to Sofia. I'm completely out of arrows and bullets. We can't stick around here, we need to be miles away, Fuck that states away. Now I see why Sofia was so startled. She saw something that could end all of us in a horrible way. If we had stayed to fight that many, we would have run out of energy and ammunition and would have succumbed to the horde.
And then what kind of person would I be knowing that I put my girlfriend and our friends in danger.

Running was the 'only' option here.

I turn my attention to Vi, and she’s crying. That’s understandable, She’s frightened and I need to console her. Today has been too much for her to handle.

I quickly check myself for any bites or scratches and let out a sigh of relief, I’m good. I see Lue doing the same, a small smile appeared on his face when he touched his side. He looked at me still smiling, holding his side. 
“Lue?” A tear slides down Sakai’s face as she places her hand where Lue’s is.

The realization suddenly hit me and it felt like a frog was in my throat, a wave of guilt washes over me but at the same time I felt immense happiness. I’m content knowing that it’s not me who’s nearing the end.
But him.

Lue is infected… He’s going to die, there’s nothing we can do to change his untimely date with death.

All of them realized what had transpired when Sakai cried out in despair, hugging and crying into his shoulder. I climbed past the seats to my pregnant girlfriend who was crying her eyes out.

“Hey it's okay, I'm here, I'm fine, everything’s fine.”
“Everything’s not fine Cam, Lue’s infected, our home is destroyed and we have nowhere to go!” She Cries out still sobbing.
“I don’t know Vi, but we’re alive. Focus on that. Okay?” I hold her as she sobs into my neck.

While I have nothing against Lue, he did help Vi and I reunite and he's a good person, none of that matters now. Not when Vi’s safety is at risk.

The ride has been long and quiet, and the crying has come to a stop. Sakai is in the back with Lue holding him dearly and rocking him, telling him everythings going to be okay. I don’t have a watch but it feels like an eternity waiting for his eyes to change from white to yellow. I keep glancing back every five minutes as a precaution. I glanced back one more time, I don’t know if He’s asleep or dead. I can't tell and Sakai catches me trying to figure it out.

“You don’t have to keep looking back here, I’ll take care of it when the time comes, just tell Sofia to find someplace we can bury him. Please.”

I turn away to tap Sofia on the shoulder, she looks at me through the mirror. In response to Sakai's request, she nods through the mirror. She then slows the car down, parking near the road of an abandoned  farmhouse with a large empty field. It looks proper enough for his burial.

I gently pull Vi from my shoulder, taking care not to wake her, and help Sakai get Lue out of the trunk. Veer promised to stay with Vi when she wakes up so he can make sure she's okay. Sofia got out to assist as well.

The moment Lue's eyes opened from his sleep, I watched intensely, my hand clutching my knife in my pocket.

White.
His eyes are still white, but he isn’t looking too good, he’s sweating and he looks dehydrated. He stepped out of the trunk and could barely stand on his own. Sakai and Sofia grabbed him to help him walk.

After we reached the field, I went to look in the abandoned farmhouse's shed. I found a shovel, just one, two or three would have been nice. I ran back out to begin digging when I heard Sofia call for me.

“Only one shove?”
“Yeah.” I say responding to Sofia holding up the shovel.
“We can take turns.”

“That’s not needed.” Sakai voices,
“I don’t want you guys using all your strength.” Lue adds in a weak but still deep voice.
He laid on the ground staring at the sky. “I’m ready. Sakai please, it’s starting to hurt…Everywhere.” He grunts out not taking his eyes off the sky above.

I turned my back to give them a modecom of privacy, Sofia did the same. We heard them whisper a few words to each other and a couple of sobs then the knife puncturing his head had a unique sound. Sakai cried some more and we let her mourn in peace.

A few tears dropped from Sofia’s eyes but she wiped them away quickly.

The sound of Veer and Vi walking up catches my attention, and I turn to see what they are doing. I thought they were gonna stay in the car.
“Is everything okay?” I ask, wondering why they left the safety of the car while intertwining my fingers with my girlfriends.

“I can’t believe he’s really gone.” Vi spoke softly, covering her mouth with her free hand.
I don’t like it when she’s sad, I hate it even more when she cries. I want to take away all her pain and anyone who would ever think to cause her pain but that’s as unrealistic as it gets. We’re surrounded by threats and now I have nothing to protect her with.

I said, “We should go back to the car.” We’re too exposed, the only person with bullets in her gun is Vi.

We slowly walked back to our vehicle in silence with our heads down.

A man pops from up from the other side of the car and four other people emerge from behind him. “Hands up.” the man says pointing his gun at us.

I instinctively pushed Vi behind me and aimed my empty gun towards the man. There were long poles and sticks in the hands of his people. We can take them, these people are small fries. The only thing I'm worried about is this guy pointing his gun at me. No one moved or said a word until he spoke first.

“Camdon Void, I presume.”
I didn’t react to this stranger calling me by name, but I could feel how nervous Vi was, I felt her grip the back of my shirt when she heard him say my name.

“We are clearly outnumbered here so i’ll say my peace.” He spoke, rubbing his face in frustration. “The Skinner requests your presence.”

After a loud bang, the man fell to his knees, bleeding from his chest. As a result, his lackies ran towards us, believing that I had shot the leader of their group. There are more shots fired and one lands on each of the incoming men wielding sticks and poles. My eyes are drawn to Aviva as she empties the clip of her gun onto them.

I’m supposed to be protecting her.

They all fell and she kept pulling the trigger when nothing else was coming out. I gracefully took the gun from her hands and hugged her.

“Hey! Where the fuck do you think you’re going?” I hear Sofia yell and so Sakai and I rush to her side, at the same time Veer was embracing his sister.

Sofia kicked the survivor in the face and was about to do it again when I intervened. I need information on who they think the skinner is. So I bent down to his level.

“How do you know The Skinner?"

🤔