(16) 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐲 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫?

☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎

ADELAIDE HAD BEEN HIDING OUT IN HER APARTMENT, too afraid to go to the institute because she thought she would for sure run into Magnus there. She couldn't face him, because she didn't know what she would say. How would she leave his life without mentioning the deal she made? Magnus would never let it happen. She just had to find a way and quick. But as she sat there, thinking of a way to let him down easily, the door to her apartment opened.

Glancing over, she sees Magnus enter and she almost just wanted to run to the balcony and jump. "Hey, I've been looking everywhere for you." He says with a smile as he sees her sitting on the couch. Adelaide had to force a smile as she looks back at him.

"Oh, I've just been here." Adelaide responds as she clears her throat, Magnus making his way over to her.

"You will never believe what just happened." Magnus states as he sits down beside her. Adelaide could guess what it was but obviously that would make it too obvious. The man shows her his magic and she just has to pretend to be shocked.

"Your magic." She says, smiling forcefully, trying to look at him but she found it almost impossible to meet his eyes. "How?" Adelaide asks, brushing her hair out of her face.

"My father gave them back." Magnus tells her, he was still confused why his father had a change of heart. Although it wasn't really because Asmodeus wanted Magnus to join him.

"That's amazing, Magnus." Adelaide replies as she fiddles with her fingers. He seemed happy having his magic back which is what she wanted.

"Now get up, because you and I are going to celebrate." Magnus says as he stands up, leaning down to grab her hands but she just pulls them away making him a bit confused.

"I can't." She denies, biting the inside of her cheek. Magnus furrows his eyebrows as he looks at her.

"Why?"

"Magnus, I need to talk to you." Adelaide says, her voice wavering but she tries to keep it stable. Magnus immediately became worried that something bad had happened.

"What is it, buttercup?" Magnus asks, sitting back down and grabbing her hand, giving it a squeeze. Adelaide closes her eyes for a second, trying to brace herself.

"I can't... I need some space." She tells him softly, her voice barely above a whisper.

"From me?" Magnus questions, trying to make sense of it all. Adelaide nods her head which confirms his thoughts.