(17) 𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐩

☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎

ADELAIDE STOOD NEXT TO JACE, a sigh leaving her lips as they were trying to find where Clary had gone off with Jonathan. But it wasn't easy, especially with Simon blaming them for letting her go. "I don't understand. You said that if you stayed with her, nothing bad could happen." Simon says as he furrows his eyebrows, almost glaring at Jace who just crosses his arms against his chest.

"I only lost sight of her for a minute," Jace replies, not liking what Simon was accusing him of. Adelaide was just quiet, not really having much to contribute to the conversation, although she really just didn't want to speak.

"Enough time for the twinning rune to have taken hold." Isabelle points out with a sigh as she places her hands on her hips. Jace nods his head, his jaw slightly clenched.

"Once I got back to her, it was already too late. She'd been completely overtaken." He admits, feeling responsible for losing Clary and almost getting Adelaide killed.

"I tried to stop them but those two together are powerful. And I couldn't exactly hurt Jonathan the way I wanted to without hurting Clary." Adelaide adds it would be almost impossible to get Clary back until they severed the link. They couldn't hurt Jonathan because none of them wanted to harm Clary.

"Jace." Alec's voice comes through the room, making them glance over to see that he is walking over to them. His eyes drifted to Adelaide for a moment and she just sent him a smile which he returned.

"Alec, where were you?" Jace asks, a bit confused as to where the man had been. Alec clears his throat as he stops next to the group.

"I got the alert. Are you okay?" Alec questions as he looks at Jace before moving over to Adelaide who immediately takes his hand in hers, giving it a squeeze.

"I will be when we get Clary back," Jace mutters as he shakes his head. Isabelle was just watching them but her eyes caught a glimpse of her brother and Adelaide holding hands, the girl leaned against him slightly. 

"What is this? Did you--" Isabelle stops herself, having caught everyone's attention. But her eyes widen as she notices the ring on Adelaide's finger.  "Oh my god!" She squeals happily as she claps her hands. Jace glances to where she was looking, instantly smiling when he notices what Isabelle is making a big deal about.

"Okay, let us focus, please," Alec tells them, glancing around the group. Jace just smirks, raising his eyebrow at his parabatai.

"You proposed, Alec. I thought you chickened out." Jace admits with a small laugh, to which Alec just sends him a small glare as Adelaide looks at them amused.