17. The Beginning of the End

:) :) :) :) :) :)

"Dreeeeam!"

Dream grinned, tugging on Wilbur's hand so he would run faster. He ran up to Foolish, immediately getting engulfed in a hug, and laughed.

"Look at you!" Foolish yelled, swinging him around, "Seems like just yesterday, you were this ity bitty little kid!"

Dream laughed, "Yeah, yeah. Don't act like you and XD didn't struggle to take care of me."

That was something Dream had been doing now.

He had tried to ignore XD's existence completely. Wouldn't acknowledge that he had ever known him.

It wasn't until he had broken down in the middle of the night after a dream with XD in it that he realized that wasn't such a good idea.

"You have those memories of him. You can't just ignore that they happened. They're good memories you enjoy, don't forget them." Puffy had said gently, taking Dream's hands in his own.

"Then what do I do? He was my brother..."

"He was. And he was then, but not now. It's okay to think about before, laugh about it, and smile about it!" Puffy said with a small smile, "But if you ignore them, it'll hurt you more."

And if Dream had teared up and started sobbing then, no one else had to know.

"You were a little nightmare!" Foolish said, laughing, "Always doing something!"

"Whatever," Dream said with a huff, lightly shoving Foolish's hand off his head.

"Where are you two looooove birds, heading?" Foolish asked.

"Just heading home," Wilbur said with a shrug, before leaning over to Dream and whispering, "Sometimes I think he's more of a child than Tommy."

Dream laughed, and the two said goodbye before heading home. Although Foolish managed to quickly get another hug.

....

As night fell, and Dream laid in bed staring out the large skylight Foolish had made (It made him feel less trapped) at the stars, he smiled. Things were getting better.

He was getting better.

Dream's eyes slid shut, and he fell asleep to the peaceful night around.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.

.

You can run as far as you wish.

I'll always be one step ahead.

Wherever you go.

Whatever you do.

I'll know.

You think your world is the only one you'll be in?

You think I can't get to others?

Oh, Daydream. You tried so hard!

You really did!

But even now...you still are so easy to get to.

Even now...your connection is still here...

Even now...you're under a Protector's Control

X̷̭͉̻̓͒͊͂D̸̮͐̃̓̚

:)

I will be back.

.

.

.

"When will it end? I get it, he shouldn't be around humans, but you're just making things worse."

"Whenever we get him away from them."

"How long will that be?"

"However long it takes"

XD watched the figure roll his eyes, before turning to leave.

"Whatever, just quit fucking things up."

Now, XD rolled his eyes, "I'll do what I have to."

Foolish snorted, "Okay, drama queen. Just get it over with."

"I will. I just need to take control of one. He'll do whatever his 'beloved' says, after all."

"Good idea."

In the dark of night, a loud cry of pain rang out....followed by silence.

:) :) :) :) :) :)