8. Chief Deranged

AUTHOR'S NOTE

My apologies for the week long hiatus, I was extremely busy with work and getting ready for the new school semester after summer. But I didn't forget about you, so please enjoy chapter 8!

---writing starts here---

Sigrid was furious as her father pulled her aside in the separate workshop hut. The news of her arranged betrothal had hit her hard, and when Stoick seeked to talk to her about it, she snapped.

"What did I do to deserve this?" Sigrid cried whilst pointing a finger towards her chest.

Stoick sighed, this had taken a completely wrong turn. "You didn't do anything, lass."

"Then why are you sending me away?" Sigrid spat, angry tears sliding down her cheek like dew drops. "Am I not the Chief you wanted?"

"No. That's not true, Sigrid." Stoick protested. "Listen to me, lass. -"

"Then why?!" Sigrid yelled.

"-I'm doing what's best for our tribe!" Stoick's voice boomed as his own frustrations rose.

Sigrid huffed. "By sending me away? Is that what's best for our tribe?"

She couldn't believe it, so she didn't. She didn't believe anything her father had to say. To her, it sounded like nothing but excuses; a reasoning that wasn't genuine. Had she really failed her tribe so badly that keeping her had lost its worth? Is that why she was being sold off to a tribe she didn't know, to a boy she didn't like?

"Right now, yes it is." Stoick's brow furrowed. "I don't know what'll happen in the future, so I'm making sure that our people will be safe, no matter what."

His daughter's red face broke his heart in two, as her eyes widened, tear stains glistening on her cheeks.

"And am I not one of those people, am I not a part of the tribe?" Sigrid cried, her voice small. "Don't I deserve your protection?"

Stoick sighed. "I am protecting you, lass."

"No you're not." Sigrid shook her head. "I'm not safe with him dad. Dagur's a lunatic!"

Stoick's breath stopped for a second, at his daughter's proclamation. She'd never shown fear for the lad, who admittedly was a bit of a Berserker tornado, but so far she'd never taken any of his nonsense; not afraid to punch him in the face - as shown on multiple occasions - or to threaten him with an axe against his throat. But he realised after all of this, it shouldn't surprise him that she didn't trust Dagur.

"I would not let you go off with someone I believe would put you in danger." Stoick assured. "And I have trust in Oswald that he wouldn't either."

Sigrid huffed, her face scrunching up in disbelief. "Oswald's a softie, he can't control him even when he tries."

"Y'know what, lass." Stoick spoke softly as he kneeled down, putting his hand on his daughter's shoulder. "Give it time. But if I feel at any moment that your safety is at risk, I'll rip that betrothal agreement to shreds."

Sigrid chuckled with a sniffle, she liked the sound of that. "Okay."

The creaking sound of the wooden door opening surprised both redheads inside. Sigrid quickly wiped the tears still cascading down her face before turning around to face the intruder.

"Hey, bud." Sigrid greeted as she spotted her little brother at the entrance, a shy look on his face as if he knew he interrupted something. "What's up?"