11. Missing Axe

"My axe! Someone's stolen my axe!" Sigrid ran out of her hut, fuming about her missing weapon.

It seemed that she wasn't the only one in such predicament, as multiple vikings were complaining to her father about missing goblets, helmets, weapons and even shields. Tuffnut seemed the most upset, falling into a full blown meltdown at his miserable loss.

"Sigrid!" He cried when he saw her, throwing his arms around her as he sobbed, before sending an accusing glare his sister's way. "Someone took Macey!"

"Macey?" Sigrid questioned, glancing over at his twin for more information, but Ruffnut only rolled her eyes.

"I didn't take your stupid mace!" She repeated with a scowl.

But Tuffnut didn't believe her, as he kept sobbing in Sigrid's arms. Hiccup approached the pair, with an odd look at Tuffnut before his eyes landed on his sister's.

"Well, it seems that all missing items have one thing in common." Hiccup started. "They're made out of metal."

Sigrid shrugged. "Everything is made out of metal."

"That's what I said!" Astrid chimed in from behind, making Hiccup roll his eyes.

"Please, just work with me here." He begged the both of them, before promising his sister that he'd get her axe back no matter what.

You better, Sigrid thought.

The axe had been a gift of her father, for her thirteenth birthday. She'd treasured it ever since, she needed it back.

---

"Okay, Sigrid. When was the last time you saw your axe?" Her brother questioned, as he walked around her room with a studying gaze.

Sigrid rolled her eyes, before gesturing to the weapon holder on the wall. "Right there, where I always put it before I go to bed."

Hiccup raised his hands in defence at his sister's anger, realizing she was very much on edge.

"I'm just trying to see if there are any signs of our thief." He explained, before his fingers cradled his chin as he frowned. "But there don't seem to be any, not in here or any of the other places I've looked."

"So, what are you saying?" Sigrid questioned, but Hiccup didn't seem to have an answer.

"I don't know... Not yet anyway." He shrugged.

It seemed that he didn't get much further, as the next morning almost every viking was without their helmet, with sad expressions on their face. Snotlout looked absolutely humiliated to walk around without his helmet, cradling his arms as he kept looking to the ground in shame.

But Hiccup had proven her differently, when he spoke after dismounting Toothless.

"Hey guys, I think I might know who our thief is, or should I say, I know who our thieves are. -"

This gained Sigrid's curiosity, what did he mean with that?

"-Adolescent, Smokebreath dragons."

Oh.

"Of course!" Fishlegs spouted in amazement. "Smokebreaths steal metal to build their nests!"

Stoick didn't seem to be as amazed about it as Fishlegs.

"But why would Smokebreaths be on Berk?" He questioned with a frown.

Her father had a point. This wasn't the type of dragon to originate in their area, and this was Berk's first time dealing with them personally. It just didn't make sense.