16. Chief Sealed Horn

"Hello there, sweet girl." Her mother cooed as she approached the playing toddler, who'd turned to her mother with wide wondering eyes. 

Sigrid's freckled pink cheeks rounded as she smiled, greeting her mother with the sight of Fólkvangr's treasures. 

Mommy!" The little girl cheered, raising her arms as a hint for the brunette to pick her up. 

Valka chuckled, picking the toddler up with ease, to which Sigrid's small fists immediately went to reach for her mother's long braids. "I have a very exciting job to do today, do you want to join me?"

"Yes! -" The red-headed toddler grinned, before thinking about it. 

"-What is it?" She asked, and Valka couldn't help but laugh at her adorable little frown.

Valka explained as she made her way down to Gobber's workshop, with the tiny girl in her arms, as every Berkian greeted the Chief's firstborn. "Well, my dear, a new baby has just been born."

"A baby?" Sigrid asked in excitement.

"Yes, a baby." Valka continued with a smile. "Berserker Chief, Oswald the Agreeable has just welcomed a daughter, and we're going to pick out a gift for her."

Now she'd really caught the girl's interest, as they approached Gobber's workshop, who greeted the child and her mother with glee. 

"Mornin' Valka!" He greeted, before holding his hand out to the little girl. "And good mornin' to you too, Sigrid." 

Sigrid laughed as she shook his hand, Gobber was a funny man, with his peg-leg and hook-hand, they got along great. 

"Morning Gobber, do you have the horns?" Valka asked, but she knew she had no need to, as Gobber nodded before bringing over the box of varying length and width of horns, all beautifully collected, but so different all the same. 

Valka hummed, looking through the selection before her blue eyes looked into her daughter's identical ones. "So, what do you think?" 

Sigrid looked absolutely bewildered. 

"I get to pick?" She gasped, pointing at herself.

Valka chuckled. "Yes, you get to pick." 

The redhead's little hands roamed through the box, before she pulled out a white horn that wasn't too long, and not too white, and whilst it was a little big for her small hands, Sigrid thought it was perfect. 

Holding it up to her mother, Sigrid spoke with pride. "I pick this one!" 

"Alright then," Valka beamed, grabbing the horn from her daughter's prideful hands. "Well, Gobber, I suppose we've made our choice."

"And a wise one at that." Gobber smiled before taking over the horn. "It's very beautiful, you have a good taste, wee lass." 

"Thank you." She chuckled, and Gobber almost went to Valhalla from the cuteness overload. 

Closing the box off, Gobber put the horn aside with his other equipment, as he changed his hook for a smaller carving tool. "I'll have it finished by the evening, then Stoick can send it off." 

Valka nodded in acknowledgement, and although her daughter was a little confused on why they were leaving already, a little promise of being allowed to pet the herd of sheep was more than enough to get her excitement right back in check. 

---

It was one of the few memories that still rang vividly through Sigrid's mind, even after all these years. Sadly, it was often overshadowed by less... joyful ones. It had been a while since Sigrid thought back on that time, seeing as she never ended up meeting the girl. It turned out later that Dagur had set her afloat when she was still a baby, which was a real bummer. It would've been nice to have another Chief's daughter around.