55. The Scare of a Lifetime

"Dagur, we need to get to Berk right now." Sigrid's panicked voice sounded through the great hall, gaining her partner's attention.

Normally, he would've asked what she was in a rush for, when interrupting him during island meetings. But the look on her face made him run with her immediately, leaving Heather in charge once again.

"What's wrong?" Dagur asked her as they mounted their dragons.

Sigrid shook her head, breathing heavily as she pushed Electrode to fly faster. "It's my dad."

She didn't explain any further, but she didn't need to. Her worried gaze as she flew her dragon through the skies told him enough. Whatever had happened to Stoick, it wasn't good. So, he wasn't very surprised to see the Nightfury land ahead of them, right in front of the Chief's hut. Of course Hiccup had gotten a Terror mail as well. The other riders seemed surprised to see Dagur though, as Sigrid pushed her way past them, following her brother into the Chief's hut with haste.

The sight in front of her made Sigrid gasp, as Gothi's stood by her father's bed, with Gobber at his other side. She'd never seen him so... lifeless.

"I-I don't understand, what happened?" Hiccup asked with glossy eyes.

"He was out on patrol." Gobber explained with a solemn look. "Got ambushed by Dragon Flyers, put up one heck of a fight."

"Why was he out there by himself?" Hiccup's voice raised, as Sigrid stayed by their father's side, studying his seemingly unmoving figure.

"W-well, we were in the general vicinity, Hiccup!" Gobber looked down at the floor. "But you know your father, he does what he wants when he wants. We got there as soon as we could-"

Hiccup sighed. "Look, I'm sorry, Gobber. I'm just, uh... I just-"

"We know. We are too." Gobber put his hand on Hiccup's shoulder. "We're doing everything we can."

Sigrid stared at her father's face, his forehead covered by a cold damp cloth. She could tell that Gothi had been doing her best, so far. She felt Gothi's wrinkly hand gently pat her palm, making her glance down towards her, before the elder pointed towards her brother. Turns out that Hiccup had been trying to gain her attention for a while, but he was too crestfallen to put any real volume to it.

She didn't want to leave her father's side, but they needed to give him space to recover, and the people of Berk needed someone to step up. But the people would have to wait - Sigrid selfishly decided. This time they went first.

As she and her brother stepped outside of the hut, they avoided everyone's gaze as they walked down the long path. They needed to clear their mind. Ignoring everyone's questions about their father's condition, they just kept walking. Dagur's stomach filled with dread, expecting the worse.

"Leave them be." Gobber assured the group. "I'll fill you all in."

Sigrid was grateful that the others gave them their space, even though she knew it wouldn't last for long. She knew what the people were expecting, a leader, but right now she was unsure if she could provide them with that. Right now, she needed to care for her - possibly dying - father, not having any time to play Chief. And she was sure that Hiccup wasn't ready to step in either.

---

"Sweetheart?" Dagur's surprisingly soft voice sounded in her ears, before he carefully placed his hands on her shoulders. "Maybe it's time for you to eat something..."

Sigrid gave a tired humm, blinking before she flinched from how dry her eyes felt. She'd been staring at her dad's sleeping form for hours. Even Hiccup had left the room by now, choosing to wander the great hall as a distraction.