31. Confusing Feelings 3/3

The morning came fast, and Sigrid spend her time preparing for the mission. She felt a little guilty that she hadn't checked on Dagur yet, but she was worried that if she did, she might not want to leave at all. And she couldn't do that, her brother needed her on this mission, they all did.

Suddenly, Chicken ran in, clucking at the top of her lungs. Something was wrong, and it had to do with Dagur.

"What's that, Chicken?" Tuffnut questioned the bird as she continued to cluck. "Buck! Buck! Buck?"

Sigrid raised her brow. So, Tuffnut speaks chicken now, huh?

"Dagur has escaped?"

Oh no.

The riders have never ran to the stables so fast in their lives. To their dread, Chicken had been right, and the pen where Dagur had been kept in was empty. The door was broken off, only leaving the fur blanket and pillow that Sigrid had given him the night before. 

"Shattermaster broke him out." Hiccup frowned, feeling betrayed. 

Fishlegs seemed impressed. "You have to admit, he really has bonded with his dragon well... I'm just staying."

Really not a good time, Fishlegs. At the moment, Sigrid didn't know what to think. Had he really betrayed them? Or was this his weird way of proving himself to them? Whatever it was, it made her anxious. 

"Wings up gang. We have to hit that shipyard before Dagur has a chance to give away our place." Hiccup spoke as he mounted Toothless, knowing they had to act quick.

Electrode's throat rumbled from under Sigrid's seated figure, gaining her attention as she laid a gentle hand on top of his head. Even her dragon could tell that she wasn't feeling good about this. 

The riders flew as fast as they could towards Viggo's shipyard. Alarmingly, they hadn't seen Dagur during their entire flight, and they worried they were already too late. 

"Anyone see Dagur? Maybe we beat him here." Hiccup tried to be optimistic. 

Astrid pointed towards the distance. "There he is!"

She was correct, as Dagur and Shattermaster flew not too far ahead of them, towards the shipyard.

Sigrid frowned. What is he doing?

"Okay, here's the-" Before Hiccup could even say 'plan' he was interrupted by Heather on Windshear whizzing past him at high speed.

Sigrid watched on anxiously as Dagur and Shattermaster dodged all of Windshear's shots, much to Heather's frustration. He was a fast learner, making sure to keep the sun in Heather's eyes. Sigrid was surprised to see that it didn't take long for him to - carefully - take Heather out of the fight. He really had learned from them. 

"What do we do?" Astrid called out as they watched Dagur near the shipyard.

Hiccup spoke quickly. "Even when he warns them, they'll still need time to react. We have to hit the shipyards now!"

Electrode made sure to fly behind Toothless as they went forward, still a little apprehensive about his rider being in battle again, and Sigrid noticed. Her encounter with the Scourge had scared him a lot, and she'd have to work with him to get rid of that fear. 

But suddenly, Sigrid was left confused, as it seemed that Dagur wasn't telling the hunters about their arrival. No, he was letting himself be attacked. 

Hiccup motioned for everyone to stop in their path, and they did. 

"What does he think he's doing?" Snotlout questioned.