65. A Letter from the Chief

"What are you thinking?" Heather asked her brother, as he stared at the paper in his hands with contemplation.

After a day of meetings and being away from his baby, Dagur had been ready to run back to his home. To be alone with his wife and son. But, as he opened the doors of the Great Hall, a Terrible Terror flew right into his face, with a letter attached to its back.

The letter had come from Berk, and Heather noted from her brother's expression that it couldn't have been very good news.

Instead of responding, Dagur slid the paper over to his sister, as he continued riding in his train of thought. Raising her brow, Heather grabbed the paper, and her eyes landed on Hiccup's signature at the bottom, accompanied by a Monstreous Nightmare seal.

To Dagur and Sigrid,

Berk is being threatened by a man named Grimmel the Grisly. He wants to kill Toothless and destroy our tribe for our allyship with the dragons. So far, we've had to flee our island in search for a safer space, which we've now found. After Grimmel is done with Berk, it wouldn't surprise me if he came for Berserker island next.

I'm hereby asking for your help, as an allied Chief and brother, to stop Grimmel the Grisly and help save our dragons.

Grimmel is dangerous, and should be approached carefully. Which is why I ask for your arrival in secrecy, I am the only one aware of this letter.

Please help us,

Chief Hiccup the Horrendous of Berk

"Oh no." Heather gasped.

"Oh no is right." Dagur sighed. "I... have no clue what to tell Sigrid."

Heather raised her brow. "What do you mean? We're gonna help them aren't we?"

Dagur looked at her as if she'd grown two heads.

"Of course we are!" He gasped in offense. "But how am I gonna tell my wife that her birth-island is gone, huh? That her home of over two decades had to be abandoned?"

"...Yeah, I didn't think about it like that." Heather sighed, her eyes darting to the ground.

She knew what it was like to lose her entire island, and whilst Sigrid's tribe was still alive and well - for now - she was sure that the news would be a shock.

---

Sitting in her new rocking chair - a maternity gift from Heather - Sigrid rocked back and forth as her eyes carefully took in every word.

Dagur had expected her to yell, scream, and throw stuff around; hence why baby Oswald was somewhere else completely in the safe hands of his aunt. But so far she'd done no such thing, just sitting there... quietly.

"My love?" Dagur tried carefully, fearing that she might be lost in a trance.

"We should assemble the troops." Sigrid's eyes never left the paper. "We'll leave for Berk as soon as possible. Is that alright with you, Chief?"

The mention if his title made a shiver run up Dagur's spine.

"Oh, you're tempting me, darling." He practically moaned, glad to see that she was okay enough to jest him. "But that seems more than okay. In fact, sounds like a plan."