20. Sparked by a Lightning Strike

"I just don't get it, what is the problem?" Hiccup questioned as he paced back and forth, fingers placed under his thin as his brain rambled with thoughts. 

Sigrid sighed. "I've been wondering that for years." 

So, welcome to Hiccup's predicament; the inability to find his sister a dragon. 

"I don't understand, dragons love you! They're friendly, cuddly, and Thor, they even let you ride them!" he rambled on. "But there's something missing, a connection- a-a spark? I don't know."

It had taken a while for Sigrid to fully move in on Dragon's Edge, and the fact that she still didn't have a dragon made her move all the more difficult. She was moved into her brother's hut at the moment, until she finished building a place of her own. The twins had ever so graciously offered to help with her hut, but Sigrid politely refused, knowing how chaotic their differentiating opinions could be. Hiccup was worried, he'd never had this much trouble with dragons before. Granted, it wasn't truly a problem with him, but the fact that he wasn't able to find a dragon for Sigrid made him feel incredibly bad. Did he truly not know his sister, to the point he was unable to find a dragon and rider match? It troubled him deeply. 

But something else was troubling all of them in the distance. Something was wrong on Outcast Island, and it had led them all straight to Berk. The Skrill had escaped its icy bounds, to which Hiccup had put the dragon himself years before. Sigrid felt a little guilty that Toothless was once again the victim of two riders on his back, but at the moment they didn't have a choice. The redhead was glad that her father had Skullcrusher at his side for this one, from the stories she'd heard from her brother, and the little amount she'd witnessed for herself, this Skrill was not to mess with. 

The Skrill was attacking Berk, but it seemed they were doing pretty well at defending themselves for now. 

"Hey, look at that. The A-team, already on the case." Astrid pointed out with a smug look, obviously quite proud of her hard work.

Hiccup wasn't too enthusiastic himself. "Yeah, okay, it might be a little early in their dragon riding careers to-"

Before he could finish his sentence, the A-team was completely wiped out with a single lightning blast from the Skrill's back, which it launched with a cry, leaving the riders and their dragons to fall back down to Berk, hopefully in safety. 

"Dad!" Snotlout yelled out as he saw his father fall through the sky, launching down on Hookfang towards where Spitelout had fallen. 

They had no more time to waste. 

"Cover the town's riders!" Hiccup let out a final command before diving down with Toothless, Astrid and Stormfly following behind him closely, before going their separate ways. 

Suddenly, Toothless halted in his dash, angered eyes gazing up at the sky, leaving the siblings confused. 

"Toothless, what are you doing?" Hiccup questioned in concern after he spotted the very angry looking Skrill, who challenged the Nightfury with a mouth full of blue shocks. 

"Toothless no!" Hiccup yelled as his dragon ignored his pleas, dashing up straight for the legendary beast. 

Challenging the Skrill, Toothless charged a plasma blast before letting it loose, which in turn blew Hiccup and Sigrid off his back as it connected with the Skrill's lightning, blasting the two dragons apart. Whilst the two vikings fell, the Skrill flew back up in the thundering sky, safely away from the stubborn Nightfury, who was now falling with his riders.

Sigrid screamed as she fell further and further towards the ground, and unlike her brother she did not have a set of  'wings' hidden under her leather. But to her greatest luck, she didn't hit the ground, thanks to a tight grip around her legs. Stormfly had caught her, and Sigrid couldn't be more thankful for Astrid's watchful eye.