60. Phantoms of the Past

"You look so much like Stoick." People in Berk would say. "You're just like your father."

"Tall, red hair, big mouth, that's a Haddock alright!" Vikings laughed.

"Wonder who helped birth you." Their voice dripped with sarcasm.

Sigrid would hear it time and time again, ever since she could walk, talk, and do anything for herself. Vikings have been comparing her to her father for her entire life. And Hiccup, well, he never heard a word of it. 

Hiccup had always been a nobody, a runt, a stranger to the tribe. Whilst Sigrid was a copy, a resemblance, and an heir.

But Stoick, he always told his children a different story.

"You're so much like your mother, both of you." The vast Viking spoke gently, with a smile on his face. 

Little Sigrid raised her brow, no one had ever said that to her before. "How so?" 

"Well, for one y'er both boar-headed, always so sure that you're right." Stoick chuckled as his daughter's offended face. "But, you're also gentle, caring, and do what's best for those around you, no matter the costs."

Hiccup's tiny voice spoke up with question. "Daddy, what's boar-headed?" 

"It's when someone's very stubborn, son." Stoick laughed, before his face fell serious. "Just... don't repeat it to anyone, alright?"

"Okay."

---

The freezing skies were alarmingly clear, as the three Vikings soared through them, searching for Hiccup. 

Electrode was flying as fast as he could - well, just enough so Stoick wouldn't be concerned - as he and his rider roamed the area. But no sign of the missing Haddock so far, or his Nightfury. At this point, Stoick's worries were heightening. 

"Boar-headed, just like their mother!" Stoick complained. "Aye, she could never stay put either."

Gobber shrugged. "Eh, he's just twenty, and a Viking. Could there be a worse combination?"

Ahead, Sigrid ignored her father's bickering, as she was too busy scouting.

"When I think of how stubborn and senseless you were back in the day..." Gobber began before pausing. "Oh well, not much has changed, actually."

Stoick sighed. "Ah, you know what he's like. He won't give up, Gobber. And if Hiccup finds Drago, before we find him..."

"Nothing can hurt Hiccup as long as that Nightfury's around. It's a Nightfury!" 

Electrode let out a shriek as they flew over a far bit of ice, alarmed by something beneath them. Sigrid's eyes darted to where her dragon was pointing her, and then she spotted it, inside of the broken ice caps. Something... lying there.

Pushing down on the saddle, Electrode soared down towards the ice, making sure to avoid the water as he twirled around, just close enough for Sigrid to snatch the item out of the floating surface. 

Hiccup's helmet. 

Her brow furrowed in worry, as she guided her dragon towards her father, and handed the helmet to him. Her father looked just as concerned, before holding the helmet up to his dragon's nose.

"Find them, Skullcrusher."

They finally had a lead, and it wouldn't take long for them to find it. 

Following Skullcrusher's trusted nose, they found their way towards a giant cap of ice, spiked upwards in all directions. It was intimidating to look at, and from the hints of it, it wasn't just an ice cap, it was a nest.